Aggression and Genetics

W.M.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Should I not consider breeding her then? I don't want to create more bunnies with a nasty attitude.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
That depends; how bad is she? Does she get better with handling? As I said, it's not unusual for a doe to try this, but some get over it with a bit of conditioning. What's the buck like? What future is intended for the babies?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Bunnylady It may just be hormones, which I allow in does, a bit of grumpyness especially at this age.
Outright agression or coming at you multiple times I don't tolerate. Recently had to cull my daughter's Polish buck. He was 5 months and decided to grab my arm when I checked his cage when cleaning... :smackhe didn't last the day. Her one polish doe will nip if held too long.. so far I've tolerated her as it's not an "attack"... Polish are not my favorite....
Love my VL only have had 1 or 2 does that get a bit grumpy but they settle after a while and never have had one bite.

W.M.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That depends; how bad is she? Does she get better with handling? As I said, it's not unusual for a doe to try this, but some get over it with a bit of conditioning. What's the buck like? What future is intended for the babies?

I haven't given her the opportunity to try anything. So far she has just grunted and gets in front of me when I want to get in her cage. She has tried to 'hit' with her front paws, and she won't let anyone pet her at this time. She's very good about being carried. She doesn't struggle. I don't have a breeding plan for her as of yet. I've heard breeding could curb the attitude. I don't have any bucks at this time. Just her and a dutch doe (separate cages).

W.M.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
New development: :barnieWhen I went to pour more pellets in her bowl she attacked the container (not biting). She wouldn't let it in the door. I had to keep pushing her back with it, spilling pellets in the process, but she kept coming at it. Probably be my hand if I didn't have the container. Wondering if this is something that I'll always be dealing with or if there's a way to get her over it. My kids are not gonna want to mess with her if she's always going to go at them. Don't know what to do.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Temperament absolutely breeds true. Hasenpfeffer is the best answer to bad temperament. Viciousness isn't ever tolerated, and never bred.

Years back, there was a buck here who was just the sweetest thing ever, Grinlow's Dozer. Even now, I can track back the pedigrees of the sweetest buns and see that they are related to him. We've now got buns so friendly that they're almost 'needy' and don't do well in hutches so they get sold as pets to people who will pet them.