Aggression in young bucks?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have 2 young Netherland Dwarf bucks (unrelated) one is 4 months old and the other is 7 months.
They both have aggressive 'episodes' when I put does in with them.
When I go to put a doe in their cages they immediately show aggressive body language and sometimes they'll be nice and try to breed the doe but sometimes they lash out and beat the crap out of her.
I've tried putting different does in with them to see if they react the same way and it doesn't make a difference...they're still jerks and it doesn't make a difference either if the doe wants to breed or not.
I kept does from the same litters as these bucks and they have no aggression issues at all!
Never seen this in my Holland Lops but is it normal behavior for teenage Netherland bucks? :idunno

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have 2 young Netherland Dwarf bucks (unrelated) one is 4 months old and the other is 7 months.
They both have aggressive 'episodes' when I put does in with them.
When I go to put a doe in their cages they immediately show aggressive body language and sometimes they'll be nice and try to breed the doe but sometimes they lash out and beat the crap out of her.
I've tried putting different does in with them to see if they react the same way and it doesn't make a difference...they're still jerks and it doesn't make a difference either if the doe wants to breed or not.
I kept does from the same litters as these bucks and they have no aggression issues at all!
Never seen this in my Holland Lops but is it normal behavior for teenage Netherland bucks? :idunno
I have seen this before in young bucks. It's a sign of immaturity. All bucks seem to mature at different rates and I have had some that do fine at 5-6 months, but most of my bucks I wait until they are 8-9 months. I also keep my young bucks in cages next to my seniors so they can have a chance to see what they are supposed to do. I usually breed three or four does at a time and I'll put a doe in with a senior buck next to a junior first so the junior can get real worked up and jealous before I present him with a doe of his own.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If they don't grow out of this aggression, I would get rid of them. No point in breeding a bad attitude into your rabbits.
I agree that if they are truly aggressive that they won't grow out of it, but even rabbits that are not agressive to people can be territorial with other rabbits. Sometimes young bucks that have not figured things out yet will be startled by the presence of another rabbit in their space. If they ever show agression to people that's another story. I also will give does a few allowances for hormonal aggression because that's just nature. I did recently have to make a hard decision to send a young doe to freezer camp because she very suddenly got agressive with me. I thought it was hormones and breeding might fix it, but it didn't.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well the 4 month old bit through my hand yesterday after I went to pull the doe out...he was after her but I took the bite because she's shaved and I didn't want to deal with that injury!
Other than that both bucks have had great temperaments with me unless a doe is around.
The other thing is, i don't know how long to give it. I take the does out immediately when i see the bucks showing aggression because i know they will do damage. It's not just the digging and nipping that other bucks do, this is full on attack mode! The worst one is the 7 month old. But he's NEVER been aggressive with me, ever. He's one of the sweetest rabbits I have :idunno