1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. A Thief has been caught!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Aggressive case of recurring ear mites!

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Feb 26, 2017
    Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers

Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers Overrun with beasties

We have a rabbit who is about 8-10 months old. Ever since he reached maturity, he has had an incredibly aggressive case of ear mites! We have consistently used an oil-based medicated ointment called VetRX. The mites retreat for a few days, to a few weeks, and then they are back with a vengeance! Anybody have ideas on a more permanent solution? I just want to see the poor baby get some relief!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Feb 26, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I always used mineral oil and it worked even on the crustiest most cruddy ears.

3. Sep 17, 2017
    mikki717

mikki717 Exploring the pasture

I had a doe with a crazy case of ear mites, and I treated on two levels. First, I mixed about an ounce of olive oil with a few drops of Permethrin. (The Permethrin is 13%) I placed a few drops in each ear. Secondly, I gave a pea size amount of Ivermectin paste orally.

The mites cleared up in just a few days.

None of the rest of my rabbits showed signs, but I treated with a bit of Ivermectin all around as a precaution.

4. Jan 3, 2019
    Stephine

Stephine Overrun with beasties

Try “revolution “ - it’s a drip on from the vet, you put it at the back of the neck where they can’t reach to groom. It worked wonders on my rescue bunny.

5. Jan 3, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Herd Master Golden Herd Member

You can get Revolution on petsuppliesnet.com. Its under the name stronghold on there. It takes about 10 days to get it but its way cheaper on there than the vets office and you dont need a prescription. I get my stuff there all the time.

6. Mar 15, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops Loving the herd life

Any luck with the ear mites? I know this is an older post so I won't give my ideas unless you still haven't found a solution ? :)