Aggressive doe?

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My doe had kits on the wire and they did not survive. This has been about three weeks ago. We did not rebreed her yet. However, she never minded being touched and petted but ever since she lost the kits she has been very grouchy. She will let me sort of touch her, but not let me really pet her. I do want to rebreed her but not if she has turned aggressive. She is eating and drinking a lot but has not exhibited other signs of still being pregnant on the other side. I’m not sure whats going on 🤷🏻‍♀️

nuthatched

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does she have full "udders"? (I don't know the professional name) that could be causing discomfort.
She could be pregnant in the other horn or hormonal. I suppose you'll see for sure soon.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It could be she spent too much money on credit cards and is now throwing up a fuss to make her man/sugar daddy pay for it.

'If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy'.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
sometimes never...some does are happier bred. many get "grumpy" around the time they mature. Not all. several of our Mini rex does are like this, they got better after they had and raised a litter. Just not super into being handled but good mamas. One reason experienced breeders know that bucks usually are better pets.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does she have full "udders"? (I don't know the professional name) that could be causing discomfort.
She could be pregnant in the other horn or hormonal. I suppose you'll see for sure soon.
Teats, I think. I havent checked. Im not a fan of those razorblades they call teeth. I did think she may be pregnant on the other side and have been keeping an eye on her, but I dont believe thats the case.
It could be she spent too much money on credit cards and is now throwing up a fuss to make her man/sugar daddy pay for it.

'If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy'.
Hmm 🤔 interesting theory, but probably not 😹
sometimes never...some does are happier bred. many get "grumpy" around the time they mature. Not all. several of our Mini rex does are like this, they got better after they had and raised a litter. Just not super into being handled but good mamas. One reason experienced breeders know that bucks usually are better pets.
Yes, they do seem to be the calm ones usually.

I will rebreed her soon.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
My does get moody when they wanna be re bred. I would re breed her.

Does are notorious for turning grouchy (nasty in some cases) after they reach breeding age. Her hormones are telling her to reproduce NOW. There is nothing you can do to "settle her down" other than breed her and keep her bred. Bucks are much calmer, make better pets, and are all around easier to handle.

Rebreed her immediately. Does are the most fertile right after kindling. They calm down a little while feeding a litter. Since your doe had hers on the wire and they died all she has is her urge to rebreed. So she is acting nasty. This is because in the wild the doe produces a litter, immediately rebreeds, and abandons her previous litter at 4 weeks old. just before kindling again. There is a reason rabbits are at the bottom of the food chain. They produce lots of young very rapidly to keep predators fed.

Breed her and keep her bred and producing.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Back to back litters, though, can be tough on a doe after a few litters. We let ours have their litter and then wean them at around four weeks with another month of rest after before rebreeding. That gives the doe recuperation time, especially if she was feeding a large litter and lost weight and condition. However, ours are a wool breed (angora) so we keep the same rabbits for years and years. Also, they don't get too moody between litters which for your doe is the current problem. Since she didn't feed a litter and it's already been a few weeks, rebreed her and see if she settles down.

Latest posts