Aggressive Donkey Possibly?

ruthieeee

Just born
Reaction score
I recently got a donkey from an old lady that has never been handled. He was a guardian for her sheep but she had to get rid of them so he was lonely and needed a home. I've been in contact with a local donkey rescue to get him a companion but they're waiting on more donkeys and she really needed to get him a home so for right now he's alone. I've had him for two weeks and he's tolerated being touched and sometimes likes getting scratched behind his ears, but for the past few days he's been pinning his ears and tossing his head at me when I approach him? When I get near the gate he runs up to it and stands in the way. He also paws at the ground. I don't think I've done anything to make him act this way but I also don't know what this behavior means. The vet came a few days ago and vaccinated him, maybe there's a connection? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated as I want to make him as happy and unstressed as I can. Thank you

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is he a jack or has he been gelded? Did he act like this with her and do you have any more background information on him?

breezy2u

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you have a buggy whip? I would recommend carrying it and snapping it when he gets aggressive. Don't hit him with it, but make sure he knows you mean business. Give him a bucket just for treats and throw some carrots in when he comes over and acts nicely.

Latest posts