Aggressive Ram and Pregnant Ewes

Josephine Parkinson

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
As a forward, my ram is no more aggressive most of the time than any other ram. He's actually a real sweetheart when he's not influenced by hormones.

So I have a bit of a problem on my hands. My wonderful Tunis yearling ram has gotten quite aggressive with my very pregnant ewes (they're due in about 6-7 weeks). Today at feeding time, he knocked one completely over and bashed her against a fence corner.

From my research, I see that the best course of action would be to separate him, however there's still a good foot and a half of snow on the ground and I am unable to build another paddock or section a bit of one off until it melts. Does anyone know what I can do to protect my ewes from getting hurt?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I remember hearing about this a while ago and I wondered if it was really a "thing." Apparently it is, lol. And, bonus - it's less than $20.

1583698444721.png

Ram blinders

The Ram Shield is so effective in subduing belligerent rams that it surprises first time “users” (both the ram and the shepherd). Ram shields are used to block the ram's forward vision—which prevents rams from charging humans or other rams. Side vision is not affected so the rams can still eat, graze, breed and drink.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never heard of the ram shield but for that price it seems to be a no brainer to try.

You say you only have some shelters in the pasture and no barn. If that ram shield doesn't work, or in the meantime, get a couple of cattle panels and make an enclosure around one of the shelters in the field and put him in it. Even with snow, you can get a few T-posts in the ground and make it so he is contained. If you lose a set of lambs then the panels will seem cheap.
Or just get one to put across the front of the shelter,to lock him in the shelter where he can see out but can't get enough room or distance to try to "ram" the panel to get out or go over it.
If you are that concerned, you will find a way to pen him separately. This isn't about being nice or fair to him at this point.

What are your plans to keep him from breeding back the ewes too soon after they lamb? Not all sheep are photoestrus, and some will come back in heat and then rebreed before they should. You need a separate pen/paddock/lot for the ram when you are not wanting him to get in with and rebreed the ewes, for when you want to keep them from having lambs in the middle of the winter, or whatever.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've found one can also turn that single ram out of the main pen and he will graze and stay pretty much where the flock is and won't wander far at all. Of course, I live 1/4 mi. back from the hard road and from any neighbors and I have the only livestock, so there's no reason for mine to go elsewhere but with the flock, so that may not work in any other situation.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I remember hearing about this a while ago and I wondered if it was really a "thing." Apparently it is, lol. And, bonus - it's less than $20.

View attachment 70666

Ram blinders

The Ram Shield is so effective in subduing belligerent rams that it surprises first time “users” (both the ram and the shepherd). Ram shields are used to block the ram's forward vision—which prevents rams from charging humans or other rams. Side vision is not affected so the rams can still eat, graze, breed and drink.
I got one, works wonders!

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have never heard of the ram shield but for that price it seems to be a no brainer to try.

You say you only have some shelters in the pasture and no barn. If that ram shield doesn't work, or in the meantime, get a couple of cattle panels and make an enclosure around one of the shelters in the field and put him in it. Even with snow, you can get a few T-posts in the ground and make it so he is contained. If you lose a set of lambs then the panels will seem cheap.
Or just get one to put across the front of the shelter,to lock him in the shelter where he can see out but can't get enough room or distance to try to "ram" the panel to get out or go over it.
If you are that concerned, you will find a way to pen him separately. This isn't about being nice or fair to him at this point.

What are your plans to keep him from breeding back the ewes too soon after they lamb? Not all sheep are photoestrus, and some will come back in heat and then rebreed before they should. You need a separate pen/paddock/lot for the ram when you are not wanting him to get in with and rebreed the ewes, for when you want to keep them from having lambs in the middle of the winter, or whatever.
Look up Baccus Johnson Shield online - I have one of those, too! Supposta be for goats, but works on sheep, too!

Latest posts