AGH--Breeders & eating them

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on the meat -- customers feedback, owners who have butchered for self. Have you had complaints or good reports to share?

These guys do have more fat -- good if you want to render as it is supposed to be a super white fat & extra quality. Meats more marbled. Threads about buying & raising but see none about butcher & sales.

I realize it has much to do with feed, area you live (sales), time of year, etc. but, in general......do you feel they are a good choice? I have them, will be raising a couple litters in Spring/Summer. Never butchered one yet but that's a Spring fling also. :p And like smaller size of animals.

Looking for input as to the commercial value (small scale). Yep, mine are cute, friendly, foragers, low depth rooters (prepping gardens now) and they need to pay for their upkeep.:cool: 2 gilts & boar now...considering 2 more.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:idunno:pop:caf I hope to do hogs next year some time, so will be watching and trying to learn.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wish I had some info for you...but can't wait to see what you find out. I'm interested in Guinea Hogs also.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, these are not "pets" but, no one seems to have had feedback beyond buying & farrowing. They are growing extremely well ! You can be sure that I will report on the results of butchered pig, taste, carcass ratio, rendering, etc.

I am in an area that does not have a large selection of live animal butchering facilities. My plan is to sell feeders, not finished hogs. Then keep a couple for own freezer. Will see how it goes.
There are enough small homesteader type farms to do this but, some feel hogs are too odorous. These guys are NOT.

Have raised hogs in past, not this breed or size. Have butchered on farm in past -- not now.
These will go to butcher I have used in past for hogs & cattle.

Still hoping for some input from others........

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
We eat all of ours. Our pair is terminal, brother and sister. The meat is amazing, they make excellent foragers and grazers... Not many breeders in our area. Around here a 50-60lb pig sells from $200+ in the AGH because they're so rare. Older and registered pigs go for more.

Twice a year or so we have a breeder near us who sells 15-20 AGH. Registered stock for $250 at weaning age. If I can find an unrelated female of better quality, I will replace her. She's kind of low in the haunch.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
012916boys.jpg
091615AGH2piglets.jpg
At Last! Thank you :bow

Pics are today....and when I got them 9/16. Same bowl!

I do not keep registered stock for these pigs. They are for the butcher and I am confident boys/girls are none related. They are actually very nice hogs and growing as fast any any I've raised -- always large breeds -- proportionately

Plan to breed two females about March. I've already had people asking about them for their own feed out/butcher. Will have one going to freezer camp late Spring/early Summer. I only named the girls. The boys are currently referred to as "boys" while the girls are Rosie & Tiny.

Geesh -- around here $50 at weaning. But, it will pay for my keepers and what feed I need to buy them in winter. I'm ok with that.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What weight is considered butcher ready?

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
i am of absolutely no help in the info department. i have only raised large breed hogs over the years so i will be really interested in your findings. had a guy down the road that 1/2 agh, 1/4 kunekune and 1/4 potbellied pigs. i was sorely tempted because that would have been a much better size for me to raise but talked my self out of it for now. still have pork in the freezer from the last pig and none of the goats are fresh yet so i bit my lip and am waiting

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
My mini Pot boar is 1/4 AGH. He's a LITTLE bigger than my girls. It the AGH only influenced his looks and temperament.

IMG_20160101_135253.jpg