agouti/steel genetics

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
NCM_1323.JPG

have 4 10 day old kits. Out of my blue buck Sam. (Out of a blue tort and black) & Naomi (broken opal and broken black) no otters, chins, or steels in pedigrees. Naomi did have a lot of frosting as a kit.
NCM_0307.JPG this is naomi

Last edited:

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your rabbits must have had a recessive otter gene. The gene was recessive for the entire pedigree, and then showed itself when the rabbits bred.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well from my research otter cannot "hide" behind self. BUT agouti can be hidden by 2 steel genes (EsEs) causing the agouti to appear self. So at this point suspect Naomi is a super steel, and the kits most likely are Opals (hard to tell due to being brokens) the outlines are very tan and should start showing their undercoat soon. 1 of the broken blues has the frosty look like Naomi did as a kit.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kits are 6 weeks
Now wondering if the 2 I am questioning are gold tipped blue steel.
NCM_1516.JPG
NCM_1518.JPG
NCM_1510.JPG

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
A steel gene expert might confirm but here is the best explanation I have found.
1. Self (aa) x self (aa) cannot result in an agouti (AA or Aa) rabbit. But an agouti which carries 2 steel genes (Aa---ESES) will look self, known as a super steel
2. My broken blue almost has to be a super steel to get any agouti kits when bred to a self buck. (Knowing his background plus offspring of his from an agouti doe, he is definitely self)
3. The 2 kits that appear opal would be Aa ____ES- making them gold tipped blue steel. They can't be simply opal bc mom doesn't show her agouti gene. The other 2 should be aa ______ES- because we know the sire is Ee (out of a tort and black)

My head is spinning.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The picture is pretty small on my screen, so I'm not sure. But are you completely sure that those are steels? I have a few steels, and they look a lot different.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
The picture is pretty small on my screen, so I'm not sure. But are you completely sure that those are steels? I have a few steels, and they look a lot different.
In Dutch steels only come in black. These would be blue based plus being a rex fur won't look the same. If you've any insight on how 2 selfs would create agouti bunny, let me know. But haven't found any other explanations. I don't even own an adult agouti buck. So absolutely know the sire. I am definitely keeping the buck so will keep everyone updated. But from a conversation with another vlop breeder these can't be simple opals.