Agressive Doe!!!

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am new to the whole rabbit situation. My grandpa raised meat rabbits when I was a kid but we weren't really allowed to mess with em much so I'm new to this

I recently bought a couple does at a poultry auction & when I got them home one of them is very agressive growling, barking, & even trying to bite sometimes. Is there anything I can do to tame her down or should I just chalk it up as a loss & try again? She appears to be a NZW but I can't be positive but I'd really like to breed rabbits both for meat & pets so any help with this is appreciated

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
is it possible that she is pregnant? She could be stressed out from the change in location. Not sure how long you have had her but it might take some time. And others are just this way and nothing will change it. We ended up with a new buck, who was very stressed out when we got him and it took him about 3-4 months to settle in with us.

Good Luck! and keep us posted

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had an aggressive doe from an auction as well. We assumed, then, it was a male, tried it with a doe, it tried to kill that too. We ended up putting her in the freezer. We couldn't breed her as she tried to, litterally, kill the buck, so there was no point. Sorry =/ If you don't know if she's pregnant, wait a month from the day you got her. If no babies, then no pregnant.

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She had a litter of 7 about 11 days ago & she seems to be a great mother but she gets so stirred up at the sight of me I'm afraid she gonna hurt the babies jumping in & out of the nest box like she does. Do you think she'll calm down once the kits are weaned or will this just be something I have to deal with? I've had her for almost a month so I hope she calms down it's even difficult to feed her she tries to bite the feed pan or anything that moves for that matter & stamping her front feet

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
A couple of the does we've picked up, especially those from auction situations, have remained flighty. Up until recently, we had a rabbit that would run the cage so hard when you reached in that it could run the walls. He never got over it. Catching him for breeding purposes would have been an absolute mess, and I tend to believe that nervousness can be inherited. Some will get better. I've found if every time I reach my hand in there's something left, whether it's their every day food, or fresh water, or a carrot, they learn something good comes. I also don't push them unless feeling for body condition.

Rabbits are such nervous animals, and I think being in an Auction situation is very unsettling for them. We've had a couple from auction that have died the next day, I assume from pure shock as they had been in good conditions.

Please check their ears. We had a terrible time with the auction purchases having cases of earmites that are so severe we considered putting them down. We don't purchase from auctions for rabbits anymore because of this.

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback sweetened I'll check for the ear mites & try to leave rewards or treats like carrots or an apple slice I actually think she may be getting a lil better but I've also learned to moved slowly and more precisely I don't mess around when I handle her just perform the task at hand and leave her be otherwise thank you for your input I'm a total newbie with the rabbits

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
We learned the hard way. Most books are geared towards pet rabbits which are somewhat different (imho) than meat ones.

If you're holding a rabbit, hold it firmly. If I'm holding them to check their ears, I hold them by their scruff and then under my other arm like a football. I really hold firmly with the football arm until they stop struggling and then I let go of the scruff. If they start to struggle I squeeze a bit harder, when they relax I release only a little bit (reward but not surrender). Hope this helps, it's just what has worked for us.

Farmin' Girl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One thing I do to get a rabbit used to me is just open the cage door, put your hand in the opening, and let them smell you and slowly become accustomed to your scent. I bought a buck and doe 2 weeks ago, and that did the trick for me. Now they let me pet them AFTER smelling my hand and knowing it's just me. They were kinda crazy too at the start, especially the male, but not as crazy as your's sounds. I have also heard that their aggressiveness can be passed on through their babies, so it is probably best to get this situation under control as soon as possible. If they are biting and scratching you, then I recommend wearing long sleeves and gloves when handling. Hope everything works out! :)

Farmin' Girl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Also, if she is biting on things, then you should probably put a piece of wood or branches in the cage for it to chew on. A rabbit's teeth are like a beavers, they continue to grow out longer, and if there is nothing to gnaw on, then the teeth could grow out all crooked and won't be able to eat properly. I keep a 1 foot by 1 foot piece of wood in the cage for them to nibble AND to rest on top off. The wire of the cage floor can lead to sore hocks, so it is best to give their feet a break. I had a male who had this problem, and the wood on the floor did the trick.

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Update: I got rid of the agressive doe after I weaned her kits & replaced her with another doe that has just kindled & it was a much more enjoyable experience not having to worry about having a chunk taken out of you while checking the kits..... I appreciate all the advice but I just couldn't tame her down & I'm glad I got rid of her now realizing what I was missing by not being able to be more involved