Agressive rooster

HeidiO

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a trio of silkie roosters that I let roam our property. The black one is the boss, the other 2 (greys), are more skittish. I took them because the black was attacking my mom, whenever her hens would get stirred up. I figured he would be better without needing to protect them. I have him tame enough to pick up, he will eat from my hand. But he still sneaks up on people and attacks. I know he is trying to protect his pals/establish dominance. Any suggestions besides the soup pot? I am not too bothered by him doing this, but he jumped my 6yr old the other day. Not cool.

HeidiO

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I carry him around, he's fine face to face, just a sneaky jerk. I'm with you on the culling, but wanted to see if there were any other ideas first.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
in all my years of raising chickens (about 40) i have yet to really break an aggressive rooster. you can slow them down for a while but nothing stops them. in their little chicken minds they are doing what they should and protecting their own. they make good chicken and dumplings;)

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our neighbors have tried the water bottle for training aggressive roosters and it worked... as long as they're carrying the water bottle ;) We eat all aggressive roosters over here, even moderate offenders.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
in all my years of raising chickens (about 40) i have yet to really break an aggressive rooster. you can slow them down for a while but nothing stops them.;)
aggreed! I could not make up my mind on my first aggressive rooster, and then when he attacked my 2 yr old the dog made up my mind for me. Great farm dog definitely doing her job! Wish I would have done it first though because killing it after being bitten was a sad thing. We Humanely cull any aggressors now, especially before they breed and pass on bad genes.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also suprised at a silkie being aggressive. Hehe hard to imagine one of my little fluff balls flying at me I think I might fall down laughing at him before I remember there are spurs under that fuzz!

Latest posts