AI or Young Boar?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our gilt should be ready to breed by november-december. We should be getting a boar in the next month or so, and he will be pretty young 3-5 months. I don't think the boar will be able to breed by then. I have thought about AI and I was wondering what would be a better option.

Here is the gilt, she is 6 months. The place we got her from said she can breed within 6-9 months and we have decided to wait.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know very much about AI, but the tank is hundreds of dollars... Guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend and if you are serious about improving your herd.
True, we only have one gilt. Maybe we could have someone come out, so we wouldn't have to buy a tank.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
What kind of pigs are they? She looks tiny for 6 months. Most boars are at least attempting to breed at that age. Not sure about size though. Our friend has a 4 month old boar that's breeding.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
What kind of pigs are they? She looks tiny for 6 months. Most boars are at least attempting to breed at that age. Not sure about size though. Our friend has a 4 month old boar that's breeding.
She is a mangalista, and I was thinking she looks a bit small myself. But ever since they got outside they have been really growing.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow yeah she's tiny. I wondered if that's what she was but I can't see the pictures so well on this teeny cellphone screen! He might be able to breed her since she is so small.