Ai

Kalan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Has anyone done ai without training? I have a Holstein this is her second heat cycle and I can't get someone to do ai. So frustrating!! Today would be that day and vet can not and another ai person said he could not either. What gives? Seems like if that's what you do it's a one day opportunity to get a cow breed. We have one cow so not a heard. Unfortunately if I can not get it done we will have to sell her because what's the point in keeping her if not for milk. Any advice for us to do ai ourselves?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
As I understand it, AI is not a do it yourself procedure. @farmerjan is experienced in AI and can tell you more about it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for a short answer, but AI is not easily learned.... and you have to have a way to store the semen in liguid nitrogen to keep it frozen, then thaw to the proper temp and then to do it you have to know what you are feeling and where to place the rod.
Many of the AI companies will do training.... and you could go to one of them. But then you have to have the equipment and the liq nitrogen tanks need to be "recharged" or filled every 8-12 weeks and that is a cost.

First off, where are you located?

Are there any dairies nearby? Most dairies will have a person that you could ask to do your cow. They can pull the straw, come to your farm, and breed her if it is within an hour of pulling the straw, although a 1/2 hour is better. I am not sure why the vet wasn't able unless they had a prior commitment.... or the other person that said they could.
You have to have a place to contain her... head catch with at least one solid side "wall" that she can be pushed up against.... most will not just stand for it out in the open.... not being a smart a$$, but I have been expected to breed in some really bad situations over the years.
When did you see her in heat? You can breed her up to 24 hours after seeing her heat although within 12 is better. If you were to breed late, make sure you give a shot of GNRH to help release an egg if there are more than one on the ovary which is not uncommon.
Is she regular as clockwork??? If so, schedule a vet call for that day.... if you want her bred that badly then they will come out for a farm call.... and tell them that you want her bred before he leaves the office.... This is where synchronizing is good.... you can plan the breeding much better....
You can milk this cow for nearly 2 years without her calving again if she is a full holstein, or a holstein x with another dairy breed. They will hold production, yes at a lesser amount.... so you have some time.
You can get her synchronized.... it means giving her a shot of Lutalyse or Estrumate, which will cause her to come in heat. Most will give a shot, then in 7-10 days give a second shot..... then she should come in heat in 24-48 hours. You can kinda get her to come in heat on a schedule.... There are other protocols to do this too.

If worse comes to worse, is there a beef farmer closeby that you could take the cow to his bull for the day or for 24 hours to get bred????? A beef calf is better than no calf. Or even a beef farmer that does AI for his own cattle; might be able to come by after work or something to breed her.
I would not be thinking selling yet. There are alternatives.
Do you use a local co-op to get your feed? Check the bulletin boards. An ag program at the high school??? One of the students that has cattle, could maybe get bull services from their families' bull????
Call the local extension agent.... find out if any of them have cattle and breed AI and offer to pay one of them to come do it.

You are looking at a basic cost of about $25 for a straw of semen, plus the farm call.... about 25-50 for that. So maybe 50-100.... they don't always take the first time. Most techs have a 60-75% first service success rate. It greatly depends on the farmer getting the cow caught coming into heat. I would rather breed early than late.... but I will always suggest breeding 12 hours later if they still see signs of heat and I only charge for the semen 2nd trip.

If you want to pm me, I will be glad to talk to you. I would hope that maybe I can help you to find someone to get her bred.

Kalan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the detailed response ☺️ this is our first cow and relying on someone else to do the job in a new area we don't have connections with had not been easy. I have it scheduled hopeful with vet for 21days from this week's cycle. In the mean time will get a stantion ready. She has halter on but would not want to jeopardize the ai from working in any way or put someone in dangerous situation.

Another question will and calm down after breeding? She is almost 2. I've seen lots of jersey cows and they seem to lazily wander and easy grass. My Holstein girl likes to race the 4wheeler like a racehorse and frolic around kicking up her heels. When she is in heat she is hard to handle I can't imagine handling her every 21days trying to milk when she is frisky.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will calm some with their pregnancy. Especially when she gets big and closer but remember she is still a "kid". I have a couple of beef cows with their second calves that will run and buck when I come in with the truck... Doesn't last long, but they will do that when they feel good. Also, if she is the only "cow" you have, she is playing with you because she has no one else to play with. It is not a great substitute.... and can be dangerous but hopefully you are being careful. Cows are herd animals, and if she has some sort of other company that is great, but if you have the room, maybe you should consider raising up an animal for beef also,so she has company.
Each one is different with their heats. Be glad that you are seeing good heat activity... some have silent heats and they are real hard to catch to breed AI. Some just drop off in milk for 24 hours.... they "hold it", some will try to ride you or anything that is around, some you will not see much of anything.
If you are scheduled with the vet and they know that it is to get her bred, then they should be prepared. Hopefully it will all come together for you. Be glad to answer any other questions if I can.

Kalan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They will calm some with their pregnancy. Especially when she gets big and closer but remember she is still a "kid". I have a couple of beef cows with their second calves that will run and buck when I come in with the truck... Doesn't last long, but they will do that when they feel good. Also, if she is the only "cow" you have, she is playing with you because she has no one else to play with. It is not a great substitute.... and can be dangerous but hopefully you are being careful. Cows are herd animals, and if she has some sort of other company that is great, but if you have the room, maybe you should consider raising up an animal for beef also,so she has company.
Each one is different with their heats. Be glad that you are seeing good heat activity... some have silent heats and they are real hard to catch to breed AI. Some just drop off in milk for 24 hours.... they "hold it", some will try to ride you or anything that is around, some you will not see much of anything.
If you are scheduled with the vet and they know that it is to get her bred, then they should be prepared. Hopefully it will all come together for you. Be glad to answer any other questions if I can.
She had AI yesterday. Dont want my hopes up too high but I am excited!! Found a vet with cattleman's association that already had black Angus straws. Thanks for all the valuable information

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wonderful that you have managed to get some progress and get her bred. Hoping that she sticks. If she was in a good heat and he had no trouble getting in through the cervix, then your odds of success are way up.
Stick around and tell us what's happening...

Latest posts