Alaskan's Journal

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, for the third or so time we saw a pair of rings necked ducks on our pond...

(I know... bad pic. )
View attachment 61939

So.... I looked them up on the internet... and then chunked the kids outside and told them to make a floating island. Now... today, chop, chop.

It will be interesting to see if they take to it... if not maybe the mallards will come back and nest on it. But I was thinking maybe we should also put up a mallard house.

The mallards have nested at our place in the past though.... so I don't think they need a house, except that there were some cool tube houses on the internet that I think we could easily put up on a T-post at the pond edge.
That's really neat. Where did you find the stuff on the island and box? I can't ever get anything to stay bird wise at my pond except for the heron that likes to eat.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually, that was interesting!

Before when I have looked up bird housing (like swallows) these easy charts pop up with specific dimensions.

It was NOT easy with the ducks!

I also thought I remember seeing minimum pond size for different species, couldn't find that either.

Anyway... I found almost nothing... just that ring necked ducks liked a nest just above reeds or cattails (neither on my pond) or they use a floating nest. :idunno

So the kids just grabbed a pallet, covered up the holes, stuck a tent like house on it, cut dome holes to sink some pots in...tada.

I will post a picture of our floating junk pile when it is done. :lol:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok... with thoughts of broodies in my head...

Here are pictures of years past:

20180731_140117.jpg
20180729_184204.jpg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well..... the ducks came back to the pond after we added "the big new scary thing" but I don't think they have checked it out yet. We did see them swimming right next to it though.

And here is the beach today..... yeah, I hate the cold...yeah, yeah, I miss the heat.... but LOOK at that gorgeous empty beach with zero people!! :drool

20190507_125556.jpg