Alaskan's Journal

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Home heating fuel is so expensive, we typically burn wood. But have a diesel furnace as back and its always set at 55. The wood stove keeps the whole house around 70, which is nice. Wood is much cheaper to burn , even if you have to buy it , its still cheaper then diesel. We use propane for our cook stove in the kitchen, and for our generator. But thats it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have lived in lots of houses with free standing gas heaters. Sometimes the house was cold and the only warm spot was standing in front of the heater. One old house I lived in even came with a jug of antifreeze by the toilet, because it froze one time and busted the toilet.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The daily high is now mid to high 30s...
Lucky you, a heat wave! Our presumed high tomorrow is 19° but I won't believe it will get that high until it does ... if it does.

So more than half of the house was not insulated at all. The upstairs had no heat and there was one vent downstairs in the corner of the living room and that was the only vent in the entire house!
:ep:thMuch as I don't like confrontation I think I would have negotiated a much lower rent or that the landlord paid the heat bill monthly. If not I'd try real hard to find somewhere else to move ASAP.

We are considering starting a fire today.
"We" or is the spouse demanding it be done and you are slowly inching to compliance?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have lived in lots of houses with free standing gas heaters. Sometimes the house was cold and the only warm spot was standing in front of the heater. One old house I lived in even came with a jug of antifreeze by the toilet, because it froze one time and busted the toilet.
Oh no! Can't help but laugh at that!!