Alaskan's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeh, that was back when ya could pump then pay
I did that JUST TODAY! The pumps aren't real old but they don't have card readers so you have to pay inside. And while you are inside you might decide to buy some Pumpkin Cheesecake, maple, Cappuccino and Red Velvet fudge ;)

But you are right, it is rare and only likely in low population areas. Most places if you aren't using a card in the pump you have to go in and give them too much cash (if you plan to fill up) then go back in for change.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
yeah...our beaches are pretty rocky, there is sand, but usually only right at the water edge. Our sand is mostly made from coal, lava, and granite. ...so dark gray.

The property owner is brilliant. ..she has put up a bunch of no utilities cabins, the only heat in the cabins is wood..and she sells wood..

She built all of the cabins herself, they scream "not to code" and are built with zero insulation, and look like old free from the dump windows. ..so single pane.

I am jealous of her brilliance. She must rake it in in the summer...lots of work too...but still must be great income.

here is the inside of a cabin she has perched on the bluff looking out over the water. Notice how close the wood stove is to the bed... also, I had to stand 3 feet out of the cabin, to take a full room photo. There is an outhouse behind the cabin.

20171010_121050.jpg

the outside
20171010_120906.jpg

a few more shots from that day...sure was pretty.

20171010_120757.jpg

one of my kids looking for fossils on the beach. There are lots here...mostly grasses and tree leaves. Water is behind me...
20171010_120153.jpg

walking down the trail to the beach...and yeah... kid #3
20171010_114535.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stove doesn't look THAT close to the bed. Hope it is air tight though. We once stayed in an old house with a small woodstove in the bedroom. Not airtight but we didn't know it. Boy did that thing roar - scary roar. Good thing there was only a small bit of kindling in it.

Speaking of woodstoves, ours is going as of this afternoon. It was 30° this morning. Likely to be the same tomorrow. High, if we are lucky will be 63°so I think the shorts and T shirt weather is over for many months.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I think maybe more a case of being "adapted" to far worse conditions than you are, for a longer/prolonged period of time...