Alfalfa Pellets (free choice)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I am considering providing alfalfa pellets free choice to my goats. Problem is that my guard llama shares the same area with them.

I know that the goats will spend a couple of days gorging themselves on the pellets and then self moderate. Will a llama do the same? Or will I have problems?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I think since the steer is in the same area that I'm going to have to put the pellets where the goats can get them but the llama and steer can't.

Besides every time I feed the pellets the llama and steer get a little squirrly. Actually just the llama does and he spits in the steers face :lol:

Thanks!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
elevan said:
I am considering providing alfalfa pellets free choice to my goats. Problem is that my guard llama shares the same area with them.

I know that the goats will spend a couple of days gorging themselves on the pellets and then self moderate. Will a llama do the same? Or will I have problems?
Because your goats are smaller than your llama and steer, try using a creep gate. So, have a little pen with a feeder in it with alfalfa pellets only accessible through a creep gate that fits not only kids, but mature animals. You may have to custom build one because commercial creep gates are made so adults don't fit through.

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
elevan said:
I think since the steer is in the same area that I'm going to have to put the pellets where the goats can get them but the llama and steer can't.

Besides every time I feed the pellets the llama and steer get a little squirrly. Actually just the llama does and he spits in the steers face :lol:

Thanks!
Because your goats are smaller than your llama and steer, try using a creep gate. So, have a little pen with a feeder in it with alfalfa pellets only accessible through a creep gate that fits not only kids, but mature animals. You may have to custom build one because commercial creep gates are made so adults don't fit through.
Good idea !!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds like it will be the plan. A custom built creep gate to accommodate adults and keep the steer calf and llama out.

Latest posts