Alfalfa Pellets

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I am considering providing alfalfa pellets free choice to my goats (and llama). Problem is that my beef steer shares the same area with them.

I know that the goats will spend a couple of days gorging themselves on the pellets and then self moderate. Will a steer do the same? Or will I have problems?

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know but my steer is a "hoover" and eats everything. I suspect your pellets will go fast! I would feed them out so all animals can get their share a couple times a day.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Thanks. Maybe I'll have to put the pellets in a place that the steer can't get to but the goats can.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I built a "goat gate".

Its a two by four frame, about 3 x 3 feet. Mounted just like any other gate, only the goats dont have to open it and the cattle still cant get thru it.

The same concept as a creep, but for grown goats.

Some of the cattle can jump the three foot height, so the next one I make will be taller, and have a notch that will allow me to slide a peice of plywood in it, to block off goats if I need to.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
Thanks. Maybe I'll have to put the pellets in a place that the steer can't get to but the goats can.
That would be best. I'm yet to see a cow that will self-moderate on any kind of feed supplement.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Yeah, they only self moderate on Hay and Grass, lol.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Being my first experience with cattle, I don't want to screw him up.