ALL FIVE of my does had triplets! What are the odds?

BlondeSquirrel04

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the buck only determines gender, while the doe determines number. While a poor sperm count could affect fertility, I would imagine that if his sperm can fertilize one egg, they can fertilize more than one if the eggs are available.

Either way, congrats on all the kids!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BlondeSquirrel04 said:
It is my understanding that the buck only determines gender, while the doe determines number. While a poor sperm count could affect fertility, I would imagine that if his sperm can fertilize one egg, they can fertilize more than one if the eggs are available.

Either way, congrats on all the kids!
True.

Cara Peachick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I also thought the doe determined the number of eggs released, so thanks for confirming this.

We had 8 doelings and 7 bucklings. We were heavy on bucklings until the last mama to kid saved us with triplet doelings! :celebrate Also, the buck (sire) was polled and all the mamas are disbudded. We only have 2 polled bucklings and 3 polled doelings. I was hoping for a higher percentage polled, but I cannot complain!

I'll work on the photos. I need to update my website and send to interested buyers first.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind and funny comments!

Cara

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, if my calculations are correct, that is 15 goat babies. Yet, I see no pictures.......:idunno

Blarneyeggs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
rinksgi said:
Wonderful! I am curious about the buck,as well. My 4 month old Nubian buck is one of 4 kids born to a doe who routinely has 4 or 5 kids. That is one of the reasons I wanted him. Yes and we need details and pictures of all 15 and the mammas and the daddy, if you have it.
Looks like your post and Cara's crossed in cyber space. She's going to get the pics to her buyers first...then US! So we can ooooo and ahhhh.

Cara, I have a newbie question for you, how do you now so soon that they're polled?

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Missy said:
GLENMAR said:
Egg_Newton said:
So, if my calculations are correct, that is 15 goat babies. Yet, I see no pictures.......:idunno
:yuckyuck
X2
X2
(for both comments!)
ditto,... I think its very odd that you could dare to post about babies and not post a single picture... yet 15 babies from 5 does, what are you thinking. Pick up your camera, get out to their shed and take pictures..... do it immediately! ;)