All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Been reading pig threads all day and I up and bought some pigs! I found a guy on CL with hampshire yorkshire cross. got 2 cut males 35lbs and 40 lbs each for 100 bucks. I have t pick them up in the morning before work, but the real scary part will be telling my wife when I get home :)

You are all in big trouble! :)

Ill post some pictures and prolly a video

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be careful with those videos. If you get your DW's reaction, wouldn't want to see her abusing you! :gig
Unless you need the proof for evidence or something.
Honestly though, mine just says, I don't care what you do, but don't expect me to help!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ouch Dave... That doesn't sound like a partnership to me... :duc:hide But then I'm sure she probably has hobbies and such that you aren't the least interested in taking part in either.

Grats Matt! Looking forward to some pics! Since they're little right now you can keep them in with basic fencing. When they get to be 300+ pounds, that's when you need really secure, heavy duty stuff.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
She has helped me out the weeks of summer I have been a director at our church camp, and when I have been sick enough I just couldn't get outside, but she told me that's what I get for marrying a city girl.

She told me up front she didn't want to be part of rabbit raising. So, I knew it going in. But, she didnt tell me no. She likes to eat the meat, but doesn't want to get attached to them, so she keeps her distance.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been reading pig threads all day and

You are all in big trouble! :)

Well then, if you are STILL READING your wife will really be surprised when you expand your livestock with goats, sheep, horses, chickens, turkeys & ducks next week!!! :lol:

Can hardly wait for that...video. We are enablers! :caf

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Man some great responses in this thread...Im really digging this community :)

Truth be told Farmer Lemon (a.k.a. Lee a.k.a. DW) is more of a farmer than I am sense she is home all day working with the animals (13 chickens, 4 turkeys, 8 katahdin and now 2 pigs) She was all for the pigs, she just didnt realize it was happening this morning :) Here they are 1/2 yorkshire 1/2 hampshire. the one in the foreground is about 4 months old and near to 50lbs and the one in the background is 3 months old and closer to 30lbs. they are inside our 12x20 sheep barn here. this is temporary and we will be doing some fence work this weekend. will have videos of that too. I think I will start a journal for our pig journey :)

1831[1].jpeg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Awesome! That ought to be some great bacon! Just curious, I noticed the gap in the slats on the flooring/shelves behind the pigs... Are those sleeping platforms for the sheep? If so, do they use them for that purpose? Have you had any issues of them getting their hooves stuck between the slats? Or maybe its just off the ground storage for hay or what not...

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Awesome! That ought to be some great bacon! Just curious, I noticed the gap in the slats on the flooring/shelves behind the pigs... Are those sleeping platforms for the sheep? If so, do they use them for that purpose? Have you had any issues of them getting their hooves stuck between the slats? Or maybe its just off the ground storage for hay or what not...

No no....those are actually stands for chicken nest boxes :) we pulled them out when the pigs went in. The chickens are supposed to lay in the coop, but they are 100% free range(like they sleep in trees at night) so they lay wherever they want. Actually one of my concerns will be keeping them out of the pig area down the road so they dont get eaten.