All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
In all seriousness, the homesteading and hobby farm is expensive to get into. Land price is inflated so much unless you can clear a ravine and woods and use it. Being self sufficient and living on what you got isn't as easy as it was when I was poor growing up. The idea then was to gain education and get on to prosperous suburban living. Hard to get back to roots.

The 40 hour work week away from the home place is too true also. Folks working themselves to death to be able to be more self sufficient. I am fortunate in that I have my office here on church property. I do chores, then get my laptop out while still in my bibs. If I have to meet up with someone or go away to conduct business, I shower and change clothes accordingly. I am blessed.

Folks see me in town going about my business in bibs and a hooded sweatshirt with old worn cap and won't recognize me, Lol. They saw me a day earlier with no head cover and in a clergy shirt and suit. I truly am just a redneck pastor, keepin' it real as I can.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dang! I've progressed to "Geezer" status... :confused::plbb

A couple summers ago when I was the dean for some middle school age kids at church camp, everyone had nicknames. The kids called me Grandpa and my assistants that were college age recruits Mom and Dad. I told them I was the age of most of their folks! I know 40 somethings have grandkids, but Grandparents are supposed to be 60s and Great grandparents are in their 80s if they live that long!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sure glad to hear this. We have only been at this for 1.5 years and it did take a tremendous leap of faith to get even a few acres. Still working full time as well. I dont really think the farm could ever pay for itself. The goal is to feed us really, with 4 sons and a daughter that is a pretty big ask actually :)

Taking the plunge can be scary esp when you look at the cost output vs what your gaining back. We are almost on top of losses and may break even or make a slight profit in 2018. We did make a lot of mistakes which set us back many times. The weather itself played a big part in ruining our plans or our gardens. i'm sure there are many more mistakes to be made but thats how we learn.

I would double click Like your post @misfitmorgan, but it takes the Like away. Lol. I guessed your age range. Mine is posted, and am usually between the geezers like Joe, Fred, Mike, and Bruce, :lol: Love those guys, really do! and the youngsters in their 20's, 30's.

Used to do a guess your weight and age at a little amusement park. Always guess weight or age low and give out the cheap prize! Keep the ladies happy.

If you are in the know and pay attention to the line up of shows you can guess i was watching them on nick at night which gives you a pretty good guess on my age. I've played that game at the amuzement parks, i always won. That guy did not try to guess below your weight but i weigh much more then i look like i do. I think most people esp men are programmed to think that if a person is not very well padded they must weigh a certain amount, they dont account for muscle.....thats not to say i dont have padding as well :lol:

Your not at geezer status yet?? I thought for sure you got your card in the mail already :plbb

A couple summers ago when I was the dean for some middle school age kids at church camp, everyone had nicknames. The kids called me Grandpa and my assistants that were college age recruits Mom and Dad. I told them I was the age of most of their folks! I know 40 somethings have grandkids, but Grandparents are supposed to be 60s and Great grandparents are in their 80s if they live that long!

I agree, my grandparents were geezers and i never knew my greats...now i meet people and their like my grandkid this or that and my jaw drops cause they are the same age as me. I know things happen but more and more it seems to norm to have super young grandparents.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well at least you are in the younger half of that geezer list, Mike wins by several years. :D But he and Teresa also show you can do stuff when you are "old". He was older than I am now when he started this sheep farm business. @misfitmorgan is about half his age, plenty of years to get a really solid farm going! And step one? Buying the property ... though I think the process aged her a couple of extra years.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I seldom watch the videos or I watch a little of it, then click it off. We live in the land of no internet service, so get internet from a satellite. Service is metered and costly for what I get. If I use up all my service, then it goes to dial up which is like waiting for Christmas on December 26.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score

Don't feel bad, I am in the "lady Geezer" status I guess.o_Oo_O At least, that is how my ankle and knee joints feel. And yes, working a 40 hour week, or a full time job of varying hours like mine, is pretty much a necessity these days unless you inherit. I have been growing a garden forever, and my mom did it before me to help feed our family, so I came by it naturally.

But, being as self-sufficient as possible is always a good thing. And even if you only grow enough to eat during the season, that is still better than buying everything.

Don't despair the lack of "making money" at it. Just strive to do more with less and be appreciative of what you have.

Anyone remember Saturday mornings with Fury of Broken Wheel Ranch or Sky King? Now I am really dating myself. Well, I am not ashamed to admit I am 64...just wish my joints were 34 !!!!!!:lol::lol: