All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Question for you pig experts (no pressure) . We have access to what amounts to about 3/4 a 5 gallon bucket of fresh kitchen scraps from a cafe in the building where I work on a daily basis. It is a mix of meat veggies and rice\bread. The plan was to feed this to the pigs on a daily basis. I have heard that scraps = fat pigs, which makes sense. So I am wondering if anyone has a ballpark number for how much to feed a pig/day in lbs?

We are not oppose to mixing in corn or some type of typical pig feed and minerals. Keep in mind they will be on pasture with acorns and pecans as well.

Thanks for any advice on feed.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
congrats on the pigs!

btw you got a new sub. :)

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks TAH! thats awesome. I hope you enjoy the channel. My wife is hilarious in some of her videos trust me :)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks TAH! thats awesome. I hope you enjoy the channel. My wife is hilarious in some of her videos trust me :)
You're welcome.

I noticed... the one of her trying to make the lip of the ram was pretty funny. :lol:

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
easy peazy Pastor. We set them up a couple of spots with protected boxes with fresh straw or pine shavings and they will put the eggs in those most of hte time. Once one starts laying in those the rest will follow. Im sure if you used the training eggs that they would follow those as well, but we never had to. We had them trained to the coop and were putting them up at night and all the typical stuff, but it was obvious they preferred to roost in the trees so we started letting them. Its pretty fun to watch them fly/fall from the trees in the morning this includes 4 turkeys mind you. Man we should get a video of that :)

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I suppose they would be just as safe up there at night from most predators that can't climb as they would be in coops. They are probably pretty happy birds.

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I suppose they would be just as safe up there at night from most predators that can't climb as they would be in coops. They are probably pretty happy birds.

That was my thought as well. In some situations it would be better than a coop. If something gets in your coop....ALL your chickens are dead. If something gets at them in the tree it will only get one before the others take off.