All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes it looks like a hernia. And yes, they have "belly buttons" as they are mammals and have an attachment to the placenta when they are in utero. Hernias are not that uncommon, usually appearing one of 2 times; either early on when they are small or later when they are getting bigger and close to butchering. If he is peeing fine, then I wouldn't get too worried at this point. Sometimes they seem to "grow out of" the ones that appear when small. There usually isn't any real "surgery" to do as it is too risky, and costly. And I would never keep one for breeding that has a hernia. Basically I would just keep an eye on it. If it gets too big then he needs to be butchered then. Since you are only going to keep them for another month or so, let's hope that he will just keep on as is and the butchering will take care of it.
@misfitmorgan might have another opinion.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes it looks like a hernia. And yes, they have "belly buttons" as they are mammals and have an attachment to the placenta when they are in utero. Hernias are not that uncommon, usually appearing one of 2 times; either early on when they are small or later when they are getting bigger and close to butchering. If he is peeing fine, then I wouldn't get too worried at this point. Sometimes they seem to "grow out of" the ones that appear when small. There usually isn't any real "surgery" to do as it is too risky, and costly. And I would never keep one for breeding that has a hernia. Basically I would just keep an eye on it. If it gets too big then he needs to be butchered then. Since you are only going to keep them for another month or so, let's hope that he will just keep on as is and the butchering will take care of it.
@misfitmorgan might have another opinion.

Not at all. A small hernia in a butcher pig you will be butchering soon should be ok. As Long as he is eating and using the bathroom fine he should be ok for another month at least. @farmerjan is correct the hernia do sometimes fix themselves but are not worth fixing in a butcher pig and as she mentioned most people wouldn't use a pig with a hernia for breeding stock.

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We do have a new update. "Movin on up..."

The pigs have been sooo cute that they have earned themselves a new house/shanty :)

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
"The pigs have gone through the first house, the second house and now we are going to build them a third shelter"
For some reason the Big Bad Wolf came to mind!

I think shelter # 3 will serve well.

Matt n Lee

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
"The pigs have gone through the first house, the second house and now we are going to build them a third shelter"
For some reason the Big Bad Wolf came to mind!

I think shelter # 3 will serve well.

Oh man that is awesome! How did this NOT occur to me??!!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
oh man DONT get in trouble :)

but they DO work on your phone with the youtube app...just sayin...but DONT get in trouble!!

Haha i know they do but i work in an office so i would have to watch without sound. I will just wait until i get home......then probly forget.....but i will try my best not too.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
In this case you can figure out what is happening without sound. I already quoted the most interesting part ;)

No headphones at work? I used them so I could listen to music while I worked and not bother anyone.