All round farm dog breed suggestions.

Ownedby3alpacas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
Based on that experience, I wouldn't trust a rottweiler with any livestock, especially since this one in particular couldn't even safely be around a small dog.
Actually Rotties were originally used by drovers to herd and guard their herds. They can be excellent with livestock, but, like any other breed, they need to be taught what is and isn't exceptable with the livestock.

Bacog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
I haven't had a good experience with rottweilers. The only rottweiler I know was my neighbor's...she was extremely protective. We brought my miniature poodle over on a leash to their house (didn't go in...just talked in the front yard) when we first moved here. The rottweiler (Camille) kept circling around our poodle (Pepper). About a year later, Camille came onto our property while me & my brother were playing with Pepper in our front yard...no more than 20' from the house (we were probably 6 & 7 at the time) and bit his head. He was rushed to the nearest animal hospital and needed probably 15-20 stitches on his mouth and the side of his head. Based on that experience, I wouldn't trust a rottweiler with any livestock, especially since this one in particular couldn't even safely be around a small dog.
I can understand your feelings and that is OK. But this is not typical rottie behavior. Winchester was great around the horses. Never tried him with cattle or pigs.

Rottweilers were originally bred to be livestock herding dogs. Here is a quote from the Wikipedia article on them.

"Although a versatile breed used in recent times for many purposes, the Rottweiler is primarily one of the oldest, if not the oldest of herding breeds. A multi-faceted herding and stock protection dog, it is capable of working all kinds of livestock under a variety of conditions."

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
I haven't had a good experience with rottweilers. The only rottweiler I know was my neighbor's...she was extremely protective. We brought my miniature poodle over on a leash to their house (didn't go in...just talked in the front yard) when we first moved here. The rottweiler (Camille) kept circling around our poodle (Pepper). About a year later, Camille came onto our property while me & my brother were playing with Pepper in our front yard...no more than 20' from the house (we were probably 6 & 7 at the time) and bit his head. He was rushed to the nearest animal hospital and needed probably 15-20 stitches on his mouth and the side of his head. Based on that experience, I wouldn't trust a rottweiler with any livestock, especially since this one in particular couldn't even safely be around a small dog.
I've had similar experience with Rotty's. If they are well socialize and train, they can be wonderful family protectors but if you don't do the work any dog can be a terror.

Emzi00

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a Border collie/Aussie mix and he is the sweetest thing. He's amazing with kids and he's great with other animals. He rounded up the neighbors chickens when they came into our yard(He's not a trained herding dog) and he does great with my baby goats. He LOVES to be outside and he sticks around very well. We got him as a puppy so he's extremely friendly,but if we wouldn't have given him basic training(sit, stay, come, etc.) he would be harder to control, like any dog, but I can tell you this is probably the kind of dog to get. He lets you know when someone's here, is a great people dog, sticks around, is calm, and loves to be outside. So with my totally unbiased opinion ;) you should get a dog like mine.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There must be lots of great dogs out there, thanks for all the suggestions. We are going to hold off for a while and see if the right dog comes along. I love hearing about all the different dogs and people's experience - they certainly are special members of the family.

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've had more luck with just mutts or Lab mixes than anything.

Latest posts