All three does moaning - HELP!

NicholsAcres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Newbie here, we have 3 does and 2 bucks - Nigerian Dwarves.

We want to space out the breeding of the does to one every 4 months so we have at least one in milk at all times.

Trying to figure out when the does are "in heat" and can be bred. A day ago all three started "moaning" - not sure how else to describe it, but it is definitely a different sound from the "normal" baying they had been doing. But, it is hard to believe they all came into heat at the same time?

The does are 6 months, 1 year, and 18 months old.

The Bucks are very interested in them, but the bucks are only 6 months old and may not be tall enough to easily mount the does?

The does are "interested" in the bucks - they walk around the bucks paddock and rub on the fence.
The does are rapidly flicking their tails.
One of the does appears to have a discharge.
The does are twitchy - excited?
The does are moaning - a sound that is something like muwaaa...

Suggestions?

Are the bucks too young at this point?

TIA,

Frank

fluttervale

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They will bring each other into season and will cycle at relatively the same time. It's the same in most species, like horses and dogs and even us humans.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
fluttervale said:
They will bring each other into season and will cycle at relatively the same time. It's the same in most species, like horses and dogs and even us humans.
Does quite often get in sync with their heat cycles.

Some can be quite vocal.

Some are more visible due to discharge, swelling, or pinkness around the vulva. Some are less obvious.

If he can reach them he is old enough. I would be surprised if he could not get the job done at 6 months old, particularly since an 18 month old doe is not fully grown.

Put the one you want to breed with the buck and find out.

NicholsAcres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okay, so I will assume they are all in heat.

Another question - the 18 month old was supposed to be pregnant when we got her 4 months ago, and we were expecting her to deliver next month. Now it looks like she is in heat - so, I expect the farm we bought them at was wrong about her being pregnant. (They turned out to be wrong about a lot of things - but that is another story).

Could the 18 month old be having "sympathetic" heat, and not really in "heat"?

TIA,

Frank

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think Nigerian Dwarfs are seasonal breeders so it is unlikely she was bred 4 months ago. I think they start cycling in October-November and stop in Jan- Feb. At least that seems to be how mine works.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
treeclimber233 said:
I think Nigerian Dwarfs are seasonal breeders so it is unlikely she was bred 4 months ago. I think they start cycling in October-November and stop in Jan- Feb. At least that seems to be how mine works.
No, Nigerians can breed year round.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
NicholsAcres said:
Okay, so I will assume they are all in heat.

Another question - the 18 month old was supposed to be pregnant when we got her 4 months ago, and we were expecting her to deliver next month. Now it looks like she is in heat - so, I expect the farm we bought them at was wrong about her being pregnant. (They turned out to be wrong about a lot of things - but that is another story).

Could the 18 month old be having "sympathetic" heat, and not really in "heat"?

TIA,

Frank
I don't know about sympathetic heat. What does her udder look like. Has it showed any development?

NicholsAcres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't see any change to the udder so far. So, I expect she is not pregnant.

I think we are going to put off breeding them a few months to let the boys get a little taller.

Frank

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want to wait and are in no hurry that's an option.

But, I'm pretty confident a 6 month old buckling can breed an 18 month old doe. People breed Nigerian Dwarf bucks to standard goats all the time and I guarantee there is bigger height difference there.

We just bred (2) 4 1/2 old does to a yearling buck and they are a good bit taller than he is. We are also going to breed a 7 month old buckling to a mature doe. Goats grow until they are 3 years old.

The issue with a younger buckling is not the height differential, its whether he can achieve preputial seperation, that is fully extend his penis from the sheath (prepuce). While a lot of people say that a buckling is capable of breeding at 2 months old, they usually cannot get preputial seperation until they are older usually between 3 and 4 months. A 6 month old is definitely capable.

What you may want to do at this point, is to continue to observe the does and their behavior. They should cycle again in 21 days. I would try to put the buck you want to breed her with a couple days before I think she is going to come into heat, and then leave them together for 4 or 5 days. Some does will only "stand" for a few hours. They way, you know they will be together at the right time, even if it's 2 in the morning.:)