All your natural Mastitis treatments *Update pg 4*

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I didn't treat her past the washing, Fight-bac and the peppermint oil which I only did for about 6 days. Oh, I did cut back her grain a bit.

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I wanted to give everyone an update on my doe...... I stuck with the natural remedy of washing the udder, Fight-bac, and peppermint oil for about 10 days....then I just left her alone. At that point the swelling had gone down and I had marked results.
She is now 60 days bred and has a nice normal soft udder that is starting to look like any other FF goat udder. It has evened out completely.
I have to say I really think just getting her bred fixed the issue, but the non-invasive protocol eased her discomfort, made me feel better and might have kept her from getting full blown mastitis.

**I did a ton of research on this topic while going through it and found that this line of Alpines has some major milk producing bucks....YES I said Bucks!!! Along with precocious udders in does that are not bred by 1 year. If I retain any of her does (her Dam produced 2 gallon a day) I will be ready to breed these gals early.

Thank you to all for the suggestions and support through this!! :thumbsup

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you for letting us know!

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a question about mastitis, well not really mastitis but about one of my girls' udders. :) 5 of my goats came from a couple who dearly loved their goats, but the lived in a golf course community and the management found out after a year that they had the goats and made them move them. They though that they were going to be able to keep them at some friend a half hour away, but it didn't work out, the goats were neglected, the bucks got in with the does bred and bred them. Because of the neglect two lost the kids, 1 aborted, one birth to still borns. The last doe gave birth to twins, one died but one lived. When we got them the buckling was about 7 weeks old. The dam had not been milked at all except by the buckling. When I got her I noticed that there was hardly any milk in one side. I got maybe a TBS each milking for the longest time. By the time I dried her I was getting a lot more.

Things that I noticed, the buckling only drank out of the other side. I never saw him drink out of the side with little milk. Also the owners told me she is a "loopy" goat, and that she used to milk herself, on that teat. I tested (taped her up) and got the same amount of milk. I've never seen her drink from her teat.

I've been reading about mastitis just in preparation and I noticed that mastitis can cause problems similar to what she had. So my question is, does it sound like there was a previous case of mastitis? And if so what do I need to do to make sure she doesn't get mastitis again?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Sometimes in the case of a single kid, the kid will only nurse from one side of the udder at first. Then the non-nursed side will get larger and the teat will be harder for the small kid to nurse. If left alone, the kid will probably stick to the one side which could cause the other side to eventually dry off.

I would hesitate to do anything at this point. Wait and see how she freshens and then milk her to see how things look. If she has another single, then milk out the non-nursed side or put the kid on both sides so both sides get nursed.

Kenneth Flippen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
FlightsofFancy said:
**I did a ton of research on this topic while going through it and found that this line of Alpines has some major milk producing bucks....YES I said Bucks!!! Along with precocious udders in does that are not bred by 1 year. If I retain any of her does (her Dam produced 2 gallon a day) I will be ready to breed these gals early.

Thank you to all for the suggestions and support through this!! :thumbsup
I sent you a PM I am very interested in a Alpine buck from this line to breed with my does

Kenneth Flippen