Reaction score
helmstead said:
I think cabbage leaves in a goat bra, that's MY vote :lol:
How many cups would you sew in? red or green cabbage : lau

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OK...let me explain a bit......
My Vet, by his own admission, said "I know about dairy cows, but not much about dairy goats. I am not sure we can treat them the same."

Then, the Vets in my area just don't know anything about goats. They spend 1 day in Vet school on Ruminates. I have called and called around, but the best Vet here is the one I speak of above. My personal experience has been to get my self educated as much as I can with the issue at hand, then work with my Vet to come up with an appropriate treatment. I also have some of the best producers in the country on my "call" list, but they are not always available and I like to double and triple check everything I do.

This is a unique situation. We have decided to treat as if it is Mastitis or heading in that direction. The Vet thinks I just caught it very early, before she got really sick. BTW: Mastitis doesn't always have a fever in the early stages...there are many different symptoms. I tested with CMT and it had suspicious results (I couldn't get enough milk to run an accurate test)

I am very confused at the recent replies. This isn't a debate!!! I asked for suggestions on treatments.
Thank you to those of you who offered suggestions and Kate you crack me up!!!!

Edited to add: Yes! I have watched some of the Vets in my area kill goats by lack of education, really stupid mistakes that any half educated goat owner wouldn't make. I am not anti-Vet or anti-modern med......talk to me about wormers some time. ;)

reinbeau

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This thread has been cleaned up and returned to the Organic Husbandry Goat forum. If you are not interested in organic animal husbandry then please, stay out of these threads and this subforum. Any argumentative comments will be deleted and the poster may be subject to further moderation.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
FlightsofFancy said:
OK...let me explain a bit......
My Vet, by his own admission, said "I know about dairy cows, but not much about dairy goats. I am not sure we can treat them the same."

Then, the Vets in my area just don't know anything about goats. They spend 1 day in Vet school on Ruminates. I have called and called around, but the best Vet here is the one I speak of above. My personal experience has been to get my self educated as much as I can with the issue at hand, then work with my Vet to come up with an appropriate treatment. I also have some of the best producers in the country on my "call" list, but they are not always available and I like to double and triple check everything I do.

This is a unique situation. We have decided to treat as if it is Mastitis or heading in that direction. The Vet thinks I just caught it very early, before she got really sick. BTW: Mastitis doesn't always have a fever in the early stages...there are many different symptoms. I tested with CMT and it had suspicious results (I couldn't get enough milk to run an accurate test)

I am very confused at the recent replies. This isn't a debate!!! I asked for suggestions on treatments.
Thank you to those of you who offered suggestions and Kate you crack me up!!!!

Edited to add: Yes! I have watched some of the Vets in my area kill goats by lack of education, really stupid mistakes that any half educated goat owner wouldn't make. I am not anti-Vet or anti-modern med......talk to me about wormers some time. ;)
Cows are ruminants too. :D And you mention mastitis not having a fever in the early stages but if her udder is hard and lumpy it doesn't really sound early to me.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hoeggers recommends Peppermint extract.

rollingmeadow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Has anyone considered colloidal silver? Google "colloidal silver". It isn't well known since antibiotics where invented but before that it was used everywhere. It's still used in treating burns and wounds.

You can add it to the water or drench like an antibiotic while also washing the udder. It is considered a natural remedy not a medication. You can use it along with any current treatment, it might be worth a try for you.

I used it many many times and so far it has squashed cocci in my chicken flock and healed what would have been a deadly wound to the neck of one of my hens (it looked like her brains where exposed-gross). It is non toxic. Colloidal silver is charged silver ions suspended in water. It works by preventing the bacteria, virus, fungi, or parasite from "breathing" from their chemical lungs and they die within minutes. It does not affect living animal cells because they are too complex, only simple cells like the bad guys. It costs nothing to make, pretty much just the distilled water. You make it with 9 volt batteries, and ohm reader, resistor, and distilled water. Electricity from the batteries pulls ions from the silver wire and suspends them in the water, thats it.

Here it is used for birds: http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/features_colloidalsilver.mgi

This is a kit I use to make it: http://www.atlasnova.com/ColloidalSilverStarterKit.htm

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I love colloidal silver! I use it on myself, finches, chickens, but didn't think about it here. Thanks! ;)

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
FlightsofFancy said:
I love colloidal silver! I use it on myself, finches, chickens, but didn't think about it here. Thanks! ;)
How's she doing?

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is doing GREAT! Thank you for asking! Her udder shrunk to half it's size. The real test will be when she kids. I'll keep you posted.