Allergies and rabbits... :(

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So after getting rabbits a down side about them is that I get tons more allergies from them than from ducks or chickens.

(Although that may partly be due to the fact that ducks don't like being held at all anyway.)

I am not saying this to be against the rabbit faction. But this may be an issue with some of your kids or grandkids, or yourselves I guess.

Is there a way to get around this as someone that gets a stuffed up nose around them, with a home remedy or something?

It sucks also because rabbits are one of the few herd animals that have explosive food growth potential. (Compared to ducks and chickens, it seems that rabbits are faster food growth than they are. With ducks it takes me many months to get a duckling old enough to lay eggs. And even when they lay eggs it doesn't mean they can be a mom yet.)

But it may be the hay and grasses that mostly do this also (or both?)

What do you think?

Hope someone has dealt with this before somehow.

(And if you are comparing and considering your own options, I am getting less allergy from ducks than chickens. But some people that could be different too.)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
My daughter is allergic. She takes Claritin daily during her bad seasons, and is supposed to stay away from any that are molting or nesting. But she's only 8. I know of people who wear N95 masks and gloves. Changing clothes and showering after you handle them may help also.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
An allergist might get all technical about whether you are dealing with a mere irritant, like dust, or an allergen, like grass pollen or animal dander, but a good mask is the best protection I know (so when I don't wear one and my sinuses get all mad at me, I have only myself to blame).

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some people say putting vitamin E in the food counteracts the enzyme in their saliva(they lick their fur) and it makes allergies better. I don’t know if it works though.