almost time to start feeding

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well its almost time to start feeding the cows.i went to town yesterday an got 2 sacks of creep feed 1 sack of goat feed an 1 sack of chick starter.an also got 2 rabon fly blocks as we still have flies.will start putting out some feed 2 to 3 times a week.my feed billl wont really go up till nov.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Cows (dairy) we feed year around. The heifers are the ones on pasture and they normally need to start feeding about this time but, this year it was dry after June so we have had to feed them extra here and there as the pasture dictates for a while now.

The heifers do get a tub all year to replace feeding grain.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
when we had the dairy running the milk cows got feed everyday.but the beef cows dont get fed that much.we wont start haying till the end of nov.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If we waited that long here dairy or beef, they would either starve or be out all the time. It's the winters I wouldn't mind being in the southern states but, you can keep your summers!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
awww we just had 2 or 3wks with temps over 100 to 108.your winters are to cold for nw let me tell ya.we only feed hay about 120 days a year.

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
there is about 10 acres behind the house "the junk yard" where we hoard hay in the winter. ive been turning in the cows in the morning for a couple of days. ALL of the cows, lol. one more grazing should have it ready for the winter.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Our Dairy cows will be on grass for at least another month. Love that aspect of our climate in this valley.