Aloha

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Aloha BackYardHerders,

We're a backyard 'micro-farm' on a little speck in the middle of a big ocean. Mostly folks call our island the 'Big Island' since being 'Hawaii Island' in the state of Hawaii can be confusing sometimes. We're just a backyard hillside micro-farm. Mostly it's angora bunnies, so I guess we'd be 'rabbit wranglers' or 'rabbit ranchers', although we could be 'yarn farmers' as well. Considering we just added two sheep to the fiber producers here, I guess we're yarn farmers.

The bunnies make insanely soft fiber and get about three haircuts a year. That soft fluffiness goes into making 'Hula Bunny Yarn'. Now that we have new woolly lawn Roombaaaas (two Clun Forest Sheepies) maybe we will have to make another brand of yarn? 'Tropical Ewe' or some such? Dunno yet, the sheep are new and we're making these things up and finding out as we go along.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
A big howdy and welcome from the Great Lone Star State... where the stars at night are big and bright.

Looking forward to reading your adventures with woolie things. Maybe alpacas are next for you?

Anywho, glad you found us and tickled pink you are posting.

We love pictures of animals, kids (human and goat), babies of any kind. Heck we just love pictures, period, so feel free to indulge us in our addiction. Please and thank you.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
Heyyy, welcome to the herd!!! I am kinda new to this forum too. I joined byh soon after I joined byc, but then I was fairly disappointed to see no buffalo people on this forum because buffaloes are one of the most important livestock in the world. I am planning to add goats to our farm so I came back here, but I forgot the details of the last account so I created a new account.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A big howdy and welcome from the Great Lone Star State... where the stars at night are big and bright.

Looking forward to reading your adventures with woolie things. Maybe alpacas are next for you?

Anywho, glad you found us and tickled pink you are posting.

We love pictures of animals, kids (human and goat), babies of any kind. Heck we just love pictures, period, so feel free to indulge us in our addiction. Please and thank you.

Aloha Animalmom,

If you like night time stars, you could visit here sometime and enjoy them here, too. They 'believe in our right to night' and have very strict rules on night time lighting. It gets really dark out there and the milky way is a big splash across the night sky. We like to watch the satellites fly by in the early evenings.

Nope, no 'pacas. They do better at a slightly higher elevation. We're only at about 1,200 ft elevation and around here 'paca like it above 2,000 feet. My friend uphill has a herd of them so I can visit hers' if I need an alpaca fix. We're also kinda pushing it with the two sheep. There's only about a quarter acre of grass and the sheep are kinda big Clun Forest woolly sheep. We're letting them turn the tall grass into pasture. Maybe there will be enough grass for another critter or two, but we will jump in slowly.

Do you have 'paca? The babies are so cute! And after they get sheared they look so strange. Almost like something from mars. Lovely fiber although it's too similar to angora to want to keep alpacas. The woolly sheep have fiber that's springy with lots of stretch and goes well with the angora. Angora fiber is insanely soft, but not much stretch so it mixes well with fine sheep's wool.

0823201442.jpg

'Cypress', the runt Clun Forest ram and 'Flower' the Clun Forest ewe sticking her head through the fence, are new here since early August. This was the woolly Clun Forest sheep meeting the neighbor's new hair sheep about three weeks later.

Our usual 'herd' though is a flock of English angoras.
IMGP0144.JPG

We're just fuzzy farmers, I guess.

One always thinks of Texas longhorns when thinking of Texas. Do you have any of those in your neighborhood?

A hui hou

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Heyyy, welcome to the herd!!! I am kinda new to this forum too. I joined byh soon after I joined byc, but then I was fairly disappointed to see no buffalo people on this forum because buffaloes are one of the most important livestock in the world. I am planning to add goats to our farm so I came back here, but I forgot the details of the last account so I created a new account.

Aloha River Buffaloes,

I don't think we have any buffaloes on the island, but I've heard there's some over on Kauai. It would be fun to have a few around here, but mostly there's just cows. Lots of black angus, some Herefords, Charlais (or however it's spelled), some webu or some sort of odd heavy horned cattle and then a herd of speckley long horned ones, too. Oh, and some diary cattle, the black and white Holsteins and some Jersey/Gnuersy brown cows, too. But, we don't have cows or buffaloes, just two sheep and a lot of bunnies.

What makes buffaloes the most important livestock in the world? Are bison a buffalo? What type of buffaloes, too? I know a lot of folks really like their water buffaloes, although those may not be comfortable on completely dry land, are they? I don't know much about buffalo at all.

What kind of goat are you going to get?

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh Water Buffaloes are sure a very important livestock animals. They are triple purpose and hardy. They produce a superior quality milk with 7.2-12.5% fat content that is twice or thrice than that of cow milk, their milk contains 2 grams of calcium per litre as opposed to just 1.2 grams of cows milk. Buffalo milk is also high in protein, but it contains less cholesterol and lactose than that of cows and their milk is always A2. Their milk is more suitable for making traditional South Asian sweets, paneer, mozzarella, ghee and yoghurt.

Male Water Buffaloes are also more suitable for ploughing flooded fields and fine clayey soil because they have strong and sturdy feet. Cattles don't do well in wet and floodprone regions. Buffaloes jump headlong in the floodwaters and eat the aquatic plants like lotus, water lilies, water hyacinth etc and they can also dive and extract plants that are beneath the water surface. They are strong swimmers too.

They thrive on the rough tropical pastures and hot humid climate don't bother them as long as they have access to water or just a puddle to roll in. If you don't have any they will themselves create a mudhole from scratch.

Last edited:

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Aloha River Buffaloes,

I don't think we have any buffaloes on the island, but I've heard there's some over on Kauai. It would be fun to have a few around here, but mostly there's just cows. Lots of black angus, some Herefords, Charlais (or however it's spelled), some webu or some sort of odd heavy horned cattle and then a herd of speckley long horned ones, too. Oh, and some diary cattle, the black and white Holsteins and some Jersey/Gnuersy brown cows, too. But, we don't have cows or buffaloes, just two sheep and a lot of bunnies.

What makes buffaloes the most important livestock in the world? Are bison a buffalo? What type of buffaloes, too? I know a lot of folks really like their water buffaloes, although those may not be comfortable on completely dry land, are they? I don't know much about buffalo at all.

What kind of goat are you going to get?

I have not yet settled on a breed but I have a few in mind. Beetal, Barbari and Black Bengal are top three.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, I don't have any alpacas although I think they are very cute. We have Nigerian Dwarf goats, Emden geese, Buff Oph chickens, meat rabbits, and Muscovy ducks plus the three dogs.

Longhorn cows are very good mothers, easy birth and very hardy. They are usually crossed with something meaty like an Angus to make market calves. We don't have any of those but where we are you see them often.

Latest posts