Alpaca first time no milk

Crazy Hill Farms

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Alpaca had her first baby on Saturday at 12:30pm. Baby weight 10 lbs. It was a cold and winding day so I used a hair dryer and got the baby warm and dry and on her feet. My problem is that mom is underweight and doesn't have milk. Right now are fields are very dry. So we have hay out at all times. We are so feeding her 2 cups of sweet feed a day. What else can I do or feed her to help her with her weight and milk? I have been feeding the baby 2 oz of goat milk evey 4 hrs since birth. Baby does try to nurse off mom but is unable to get anything.
20161121_081824.jpg

This is what moms udder looks like.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
She had llamas, she also has sheep. More likely to have had to deal with an orphaned lamb I would think given the quantity of animals. Maybe the actions needed are similar.

Not sure where she is at the moment. She was visiting her sister and new (BRAND new) niece and may be on the road home from wherever that was.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to get that baby milk asap! Did the baby get colostrum? That is the first milk and it is absolutely essential to the babies survival. It has antibodies that protect the crias immune system. Go get some milk supplement asap. If she hasn't had any colostrum I would be very concerned for her health.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think she meant she's feeding the mama the grain. Second the advice on colostrum.... but, if mama's not producing any I don't know.... maybe if the baby is trying to nurse she's getting at least a little...?

Good luck with her.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think she meant she's feeding the mama the grain. Second the advice on colostrum.... but, if mama's not producing any I don't know.... maybe if the baby is trying to nurse she's getting at least a little...?

Good luck with her.
I feel silly, I had just woken up when I read that so lol

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you absolutely positive this is mom?

She has no udder whatsoever ever so, assuming this is actually mom and not an imposter ;), you are going to need to bottle feed ASAP. Go to TSC or your local feed store and get an all-species milk replacer (unless they happen to have a specialty camelid replacer) and some colostrum powder. Feed as directed.

The only time I ever had to bottle feed a crib was when baby could not figure out how to nurse for a couple days. Let me just say, milking a llama is NOT easy.

If mamma is as skinny as you say, you need to up her grain and start her on some alfalfa (either pellets or hay). Cracked corn is good for energy.

***Re-read your original post and noticed that you are feeding goat milk. If you have it, just keep feeding that. It is way better than any formula.***

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was wondering if it was a different mum as well :p