alpaca newbie questions

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
alrighty i have animal experince but never had alpacas. i'm a spinner so thats my first reason for wanting them. i have milk goats and stumbled upon an amazing deal for some alpacas. the person had 4 males they needed to sell and was looking for some goats... well i have 4 young goats from my milkers kidding this year. the person agreed to trade with me. so soon i'll be gettin 4 male alpacas (2 dark brown, 1 caramel, 1 white i believe) and not have to worry about my 4 kids squeezing through the fence! so even trade 4 for 4 and $50 for her transporting them (as i dont have a trailer).

when they get here they will be going into my goat barn. i have read about male alpacas harassing goats in heat and all, but these guys are 6mo-1yr. do you think its old enough they will try to breed the goats? curious how much it would be to geld/wether them? (sorry i cant remember what term is used for alpacas). i know some people around the area who have alpacas and going to be talkin to some people this weekend i'm going to talk about local prices of gelding and shearing, etc. but curious what you all can tell me of what you know. they have been kept in pasture with cows. i'm working on seeing if i can buy a milk cow and selling off my goats. i just want to make sure they will be ok in the mean time.

they havent been sheared yet so i will be contacting people about shearing definitely soon. i've been readin up but i dont see much of a consensus on when to shear?

also they have been fully pasture raised. just pasture and hay. since i want them for fiber i'm thinkin probably be best to supplement with some grains and a mineral block? i'm aiming towards all my animals being on grain mixes so suggestion rations/grains? i know i can get oats, wheat, steam-rolled barley. and can ask about ordering other things.

about how much hay per alpaca should i aim for having in winter? i know my 2 milk goats will go through 2 or 3 per week with snow on the ground. but then again i have kinda smallish bales because we make our own. so smallish square bales so i can throw em ;)

my pasture is about 5 acres, about 1.5 acre is wooded/semi-wooded. 5-8ft fencing. mostly 4x4 fence. this will be good for them yes? i'm reading they dont challenge fences, which will sure be a nice change of pace from goats! but i just want to be sure. i'm hoping to put in another pasture that will be all pasture, no woods. would 4x4 fencing on those portable posts be ok for them? that way i could have another spot for them that i could move and they would always have fresh pasture.

um..... ok i'm out of questions i think now :D :p
any helpful hints or tips greatly appreciated. thanks!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You will want to keep the alpacas separate from the goats until they are gelded. They should be gelded at 18 months old. Hard to say on cost since each vet sets their own price.

In Ohio, you should shear in April/May/June timeframe. May is probably the perfect time.

Pet males should be fine with pasture and hay. You would want to get alpaca minerals. Alpacas are like sheep in their copper needs so you need to keep goat feed and minerals away from them.

I'm not sure on how much hay they will eat. We used to say a flake a day but they don't always eat that much.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thank you.
i'm sorry to say the person sold the alpacas out from under me :( but i will still be keeping my eyes peeled for them in my price range.