Alpine doe with hoof rot

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
To answer your earlier questions about bleach.

We do hoof trimming for people all over the state for goats and sheep. We use a small wash basin and a narrow medium stiff scrub brush. Put one cap of bleach to 1 gallon of regular water...we scrub the hooves with that mixture...then trim then scrub again them let them go. To clarify this is for mild cases, if you have a severe case you probly do need antibotics and something ment specifically to treat hoof rot.

Generally hoof rot is caused by wetness and or combination of wetness and over grown hooves. We see most cases of bad hoof rot with cavities in the hoof when goats/sheep are over fed corn products.

So if your treating a mild/medium case..always trim if possible then bleach as mentioned above and try to keep their feet dry otherwise. If you have cavities in the hooves, cut back on the corn products.

We are not vets or farriers and have no formal training but we trimmed roughly 150 goats/sheep last year all over the state with repeat visits and no complaints. We specialized in overgrown feet, even in cases were they were walking on their knees for long periods of time before we got called.

Neelie Nix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A friend of mine that is my goat mentor swears by using an antibiotic like Duramycin LA 200 and applying it topically to the foot rot. She saves all the bottle of LA 200 that turn brown and uses it for foot rot.
So you can draw up LA 200 and apply that on a severe case of hoof rot vs having to inject it? I have a goat that we just bought and she has severe hoof rot.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you can draw up LA 200 and apply that on a severe case of hoof rot vs having to inject it? I have a goat that we just bought and she has severe hoof rot.
Yes, we did this but you have to bandage the foot and keep dry.

Another thing that works really good is Naylors hoof and Heal. It is zinc based so it works really good.

Neelie Nix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, we did this but you have to bandage the foot and keep dry.

Another thing that works really good is Naylors hoof and Heal. It is zinc based so it works really good.
Thank you! I Have tried that. Hers is just awful we got her with in the last couple of weeks and I was not aware of her hoof rot at this time until earlier this week when I was doing her feet for the first time in who know how long. When I got to her back left foot it started bleeding and I did not really even cut it I wrap it and she is in the barn by her self separate from my other goats. Could soaking in salt help too? Do I need to give her penicillin?