Already pregnant?

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I’m thinking one of our females might have been pregnant when we got her. She’s a lot bigger than her sister and has been a bit moody. What can happen if she is pregnant and I try to breed her with my buck? I don’t know if she is or not but I don’t want to risk anything trying to breed her.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Her belly is noticeably bigger than the other doe. She is a couple weeks older but the rest of her is about the same size

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Moodiness usually indicates a willingness to breed. How old was she when you got her? How long have you had her? If I recall these are 5ish month old satins? The older doe may just be a bigger doe. I would see if she's receptive to the buck. She may run but give her a few and see if she'll lift. If they are together she may be hogging the food.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
How long have you had her? The gestation is so short for rabbits that you should know quickly. Count as if she got bred the day you got her...count forward. Does she have another week or ? Add a box & see. After that, she has babes or gets bred. :idunno

I don't raise them but, this seems a simple solution. And it seems that it's been 2 or 3 weeks you have had them....not sure. I know you are pushing "time" with weather where you are. Patience Grasshopper. :D

Homesteading is full of patiently waiting.....well, at least waiting

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She started building a nest today. She’s hasn’t started pulling fur yet but it might be a sign she’s getting ready. I’m just gonna wait to try and breed her. I don’t mind. She’s been very happy the last two days and wanting attention. We’ve had em for two weeks they are almost 5 months for the two youngest and the oldest is gonna be 6 months in two weeks. Since she’s building a really good nest, even if she ends up not being pregnant it’s a good sign that she should be a good momma. Regardless it’s a fun journey and I’m trying to be patient and take my time.

MG'S Rabbits

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You could try to put her in with the buck, if she is willing to breed probably not pregnant, this is a trick I use. But if you're fine waiting that's a good idea too

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You could try to put her in with the buck, if she is willing to breed probably not pregnant, this is a trick I use. But if you're fine waiting that's a good idea too
Ok thanks, I wasn’t sure if would be bad if I put her back in if she’s pregnant. She made a little bit of a nest two or three days ago but hasn’t been back in the nesting box so I don’t know if she is or not. Lol. Silly rabbits are teaching me a thing or two that’s for sure. My other doe won’t breed either they play around and cuddle up the buck mounts her face a few times that’s about it hahaha. I thinks she just not quite old enough. Some things I saw say 4 months is the best because they’ll have bigger litters she’s almost 5 months now but still no interest. I just keep trying. At least her and the buck are good buddies now