Alternative methods for controlling internal parasites of ruminants...

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that they also listed choosing breeds that were naturally resistant, and also rotational grazing, as methods for controlling parasite loads.

dragonlaurel

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The breed I'm thinking about most is the Gulf Coast sheep. I live in Arkansas and wonder if I getting a breed that other locals raise might make things easier. Our summers can be pretty hot and humid too and I reaily don't want some high maintenance fancy ones that need extra med care all the time.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Huh! And it is a university report, too! Cool!

Does anyone know if other organic soaps can be used, and how often to dose the water with them? Is it constant, or occasional?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Huh! And it is a university report, too! Cool!

Does anyone know if other organic soaps can be used, and how often to dose the water with them? Is it constant, or occasional?
I would say that any soap would work as a surfactant. I think the reason farmers started using Shaklees is because it didn't start out as a soap. They used it in Europe to help fatten cattle and turkeys earlier for market. It is made from two soy proteins, so this sort of makes sense.

Occasional usage of this is enough. Salatin confines his stock to water treated with the soap for 3 days time but I don't remember how many times a year he does this. I do it when I think about it..... :p Not often! :lol: