Alternative play area ideas, etc. (What do you think?)

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I wondered about this...

Wanted to bounce it off others and see what you think about it.

Could you use cheap tents (with connected flooring) as temporary short time period play pens for rabbits?

A cheap tent can be gained for 20 bucks...but it costs a lot for material to make a real one with wood. And the wire mesh ones commercially made often cost 200 bucks almost.

So I'm thinking outside of the box and wondering if these could work when only used for an hour or two for play pens (with hay and other stuff inside), and then putting them back in their normal hutches. (And I get that it wouldn't be logical to use them for humans again after that...)

For something super cheap it seems worth it.

Another idea also is that I could connect a bunch of fridge racks from second hand stores together. They sell these super cheap in repurposing second hand stores. But the only trouble with this is that last time I went there I bought the only used fridge racks they had to turn into a cage. (This worked by the way). I made a whole hutch out of fridge racks for less than $20, that has about 8 square feet in it.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
zip strips and more fridge racks is what we use for a play corral. Depending on the size of your buns, they may or may not jump over the fence.

FWIW, we built a hutch using refrigerator racks for the walls and flooring and ended up with some broken legs when their feet got caught in the wires while running around. Now we use 1" x 1/2" wire for the floors and the refrigerator racks for the walls.

Latest posts