Alternative to plastic zip ties?

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I LOVE zip ties! Especially for putting up quick separate housing solutions for the chickens they are just marvelous. I can make anything I need with my xpen panels, some hardware cloth and zip ties....
But they do fall apart after a few years and I am trying to use as little plastic as I can anyway.
Is there an easy alternative to zip ties that I don’t know about? Some type of metal clip maybe? I use carabiners too, but they are not as versatile... Has anyone found a great alternative?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I LOVE zip ties! Especially for putting up quick separate housing solutions for the chickens they are just marvelous. I can make anything I need with my xpen panels, some hardware cloth and zip ties....
But they do fall apart after a few years and I am trying to use as little plastic as I can anyway.
Is there an easy alternative to zip ties that I don’t know about? Some type of metal clip maybe? I use carabiners too, but they are not as versatile... Has anyone found a great alternative?
They make metal zip ties and applicators to help you apply them, pull them tight and clip off the tails. You can find them on Amazon.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wire for a more permanent installation - cheaper than zipties but not as simple. There are packs of short wire pieces specially made to use with a special tool to attach fencing to T posts (Greybeard posted that somewhere - Baymule's fencing post?

We used hose clamps to attach T posts to our welded oil pipe vertical fence posts to raise the level of our perimeter fencing.

We use a lot of zip ties too, but they get brittle after a couple years, You also have to remember to bring a bucket to toss them into when cutting them off with a pair of dikes or you spend a lot of time bending over to pick them off the ground when moving the fencing. Of course, same with wire. LOL