Am I Causing This Sore in My Goat’s Teat?

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I bought my first milk goat a couple days ago. I’ve never milked anything before, so I’m learning as I go.

The goat had sore on her right teat when I got her, which the previous owner said was from her milking when she had a cut on her hand. Something about the pain made her milk weird and caused a sore on the goat’s teat. The goat also had a small dark spot on the left teat, but it wasn’t scabbed or bloody looking, so I thought maybe it was just a dark colored spot or a small bruise.

Well now, 3 milkings in, the spot on the goat’s left teat has now turned into a bloody sore. I noticed it had gotten a little bigger before I milked this morning and thought it looked a little like a blood blister. Then during milking it started bleeding some.

Am I doing something wrong that’s causing this sore on her teat? I’ve been trying to emulate what I saw online and milk is coming out, so I must be doing something right, but I don’t want to be hurting her.

I didn’t think to get pictures of it this morning, but I’ll try to do so tonight. In the meantime, I circled where the sore is in red in the below picture.
28019D5F-22A6-43E1-B814-3A44C09DD95C.jpeg