Am I on piglet watch, or was I lied to...again?!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so, as many of you know, we have dove head first into breeding America mini pigs. We bought two, already bred, from a great, very reputable farm in our area. This was last Saturday. They told us the one was due any day, she was to be in ‘piglet watch’...so, I am watching tons of YouTube videos for crash courses, etc! Nothing yet. No big deal. But, on the one video, a very experienced breeder said, that after the milk line comes in, it’s typically 20 days after for the piglets to drop. Well, Paris has quite the belly for a mini pig, so it’s been kind of hard to see if there’s a milk line? Today I got some pictures. Doesn’t look good to me. And, this makes me winder...if, they lied to me about something so simple as this...I didn’t care when they were due....what else could they have lied about ? Ugh! We have been lied to twice already about mini pigs!! Help would be much appreciated!!
5A2D4D3A-C1C3-47E1-BCD8-9CEAA5831189.jpeg
0301DA16-9CBC-4123-9F05-51341732F24C.jpeg
6142FE88-4D9A-48E3-BF6C-0F11F9C79B94.jpeg
A1BF2388-0218-443B-AC9D-6554558DEE4B.jpeg
ADE6B42D-8AAA-4D96-BDEC-6F9086AB7465.jpeg
31027141-B2C1-45C4-B86A-9F6B5C11BDBC.jpeg
AFE0002F-28E9-4EBE-950C-31766BD92E4D.jpeg

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow her belly is quite large for a mini. Um pregnant or fat would be my question. Are you able to touch her to see if you can feel any babies?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow her belly is quite large for a mini. Um pregnant or fat would be my question. Are you able to touch her to see if you can feel any babies?
Hmmmmm..I can touch her on top, but I’m not sure she would let me touch her belly. She’s definitely FAT! I can try to touch her belly when my hubby gets home so he can hold her..I don’t want to get bit!! :(

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can understand that i had a sow that demand rubbing lol a
She thought she was a lap pig. She was a druco 350lbs at the lightest

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not good at feeling movement until they really far along lol. I kept trying to feel our bunnies and nothing but she really round so i a. Sure she will pop lol.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
To see her milk fill she needs to lay on her side. They have bellies. They hang. The one picture does show nipple -- to be honest MOST ready farrow would be filled in further down the nipple and little less length showing. BUT all can be different. My AGH girls would lay right down & roll onto their side for a belly rub, soon as I scratched their back! Try that if she's tame.

So, instead of a line with the nipples you see there, I would expect a bulge at the top of each from this view. On side is far better. ALSO -- some will not fill until "last minute". Mine were filled front to back of line of nipple, as if you had stuffed a roll under that "milk line". Last 2 days, the extra bulge on each was obvious.

Hope that helps you.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
From the pictures there is no milk line. You will see a definite "line" in that the udder will look like it was "attached" to the belly. It will definitely look like a long "udder" from one end to the other of the pig below her belly, with all the little teats starting to look fuller. In the second picture, showing several of the teats, they will all look like they are a part of a "separated" section of her belly, dropped down just a little from her main body. Google PREGNANT HOGS and you will see lots of pictures that show what I am trying to not very well explain to you of the udder dropping before farrowing.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not good at feeling movement until they really far along lol. I kept trying to feel our bunnies and nothing but she really round so i a. Sure she will pop lol.
On bunnies, I just figured out how to feel them...they feel like marbles..I suppose it’s the heads? But it’s not until the very end.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
From the pictures there is no milk line. You will see a definite "line" in that the udder will look like it was "attached" to the belly. It will definitely look like a long "udder" from one end to the other of the pig below her belly, with all the little teats starting to look fuller. In the second picture, showing several of the teats, they will all look like they are a part of a "separated" section of her belly, dropped down just a little from her main body. Google PREGNANT HOGS and you will see lots of pictures that show what I am trying to not very well explain to you of the udder dropping before farrowing.
Ok, yes, I know exactly what you mean! Once I see the line...is it typically 20 days until the piglets drop, like I saw on YouTube? Geez...lied to again!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
When our hogs were showing a milk line it usually was only a week or 2 before they farrowed. First time gilts would show it sooner and wait longer. Sows that had previous litters would sometimes only show it a few days before farrowing. Everyone is different and I have no experience with minis or any pot bellies. The pot belly pigs are not worth anything here in the "farming community" as they don't kill out well and all that fat is just not worth much. Even with the larger breeds that are known as lard hogs have a lot more meat on them.