Am I on piglet watch, or was I lied to...again?!

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don’t have her near the boar...we’re actually getting another one on Saturday. I have the two pregnant ones in the barn, in case they farrow. There’s no milk line. We flipped her over, felt nothing. She’s got jowls, whole bit. I’ll post some pictures of her belly, but it’s from the bottom so you can’t see anything much....View attachment 70457View attachment 70458View attachment 70459View attachment 70460View attachment 70461View attachment 70462View attachment 70463
I made a thread with a pic of what she should look like when pregnant and fully bagged out from the back so everyone can see.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since the people you bought her from are reputable breeders, don't assume they lied abut her being bred. Since they said she is pregnant, they must have seen a breeding or have exposed her to the boar while she was in estrus at various times. You need to call them asap and ask for all the dates she was exposed to the boar.

Since they sold her as bred hopefully they guaranteed it. If so, and she doesn't farrow at the maximum time from the last exposure date, they should agree to breed her back to the boar for you. The dates they gave you for her farrowing date may be the date when she was first exposed to the boar and she may not have taken on her first service. You need to call them and get all the exposure dates and possible farrowing dates.

Do not put her in with another boar until you talk with the breeder. If they are willing to breed her back to their boar you do not want her getting pregnant (assuming she is not pregnant now) by your boar. Breeding her to your boar may invalidate any guarantees they were willing make on her being bred when they sold her to you. Also since you are starting your own breeding herd, any gilts you keep from this pig as future breeding stock will enlarge your gene pool if they are sired by an outside boar (the breeder's boar).

Overly fat animals of any species often do not breed well, or conceive when bred. Interior fat deposits around the reproductive organs in females can reduce fertility and impede conception. Overly fat males become sluggish, have reduced fertility and sperm motility, and can lose interest in breeding.

A reputable breeder will stand behind any guarantees they made to you. The guarantee that the gilt? sow? was bred does not guarantee how many piglets she will produce, if the litter will lives, or if she will rear them properly. However, don't assume that the breeders knowingly lied to you before giving them a chance to help you determine the correct farrowing dates or make things right with you.

Definitely call the breeder. Most breeders are happy to help new breeders. Also you have bought breeding stock from them and they hope you will return for more breeding stock at a later date. Their reputation probably means a lot to them.

Ann B

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, so, as many of you know, we have dove head first into breeding America mini pigs. We bought two, already bred, from a great, very reputable farm in our area. This was last Saturday. They told us the one was due any day, she was to be in ‘piglet watch’...so, I am watching tons of YouTube videos for crash courses, etc! Nothing yet. No big deal. But, on the one video, a very experienced breeder said, that after the milk line comes in, it’s typically 20 days after for the piglets to drop. Well, Paris has quite the belly for a mini pig, so it’s been kind of hard to see if there’s a milk line? Today I got some pictures. Doesn’t look good to me. And, this makes me winder...if, they lied to me about something so simple as this...I didn’t care when they were due....what else could they have lied about ? Ugh! We have been lied to twice already about mini pigs!! Help would be much appreciated!!View attachment 70269View attachment 70270View attachment 70271View attachment 70272View attachment 70273View attachment 70274View attachment 70275
All of my pigs are different. Sometimes it's a couple weeks and sometimes a couple days. I have also had some that didn't get a milk line or show, just remained fat. In my experience, when mine are over fat they only have a couple of babies because it's harder for them to conceive, and you can't tell when they'll pop.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
The two we bought typically have large litters. I’m choosing to believe she’s not far along... :lol:

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just because a boar was seen covering the sow doesn’t mean a pregnant animal. Commercially I’m AI-ing almost 280 sows a week using a teaser boar. Each sow receives two services within a 24 hour period, and then I check all those sows again 4 weeks later to see if any have come back into heat and at 5 weeks we go through with a machine and preg check every sow in that group and there will always be a couple animals that didn’t take. And thats using AI, taking away the variables that can come from the boar. Boars will mount a sow not in heat if they can, at the end of the day they’re still male. As for sows body condition had been mentioned and I’ll second that. Skinny sows don’t take well and over conditioned sows don’t breed well either nor do they have as many babies. Mind you these are all observations I’ve made with a larger commercial animal but at the end of the day a pig is a pig. I hope she got covered at a later date and they don’t realize it. But pigs are like people, dogs, sheep, or any other animal; just because the act occurred that’s no guarantee it’ll end in a pregnancy.