Am I the only one who ever thinks about this?

LiveForHorses

Just born
Reaction score
So first off, there is no need to worry. I won't be doing this.

I was thinking, if I got a filly and/or colt and raised it, would I be able to break her by myself? I don't know but it just seems logical that if you raise a horse like a best friend, then wouldn't they trust you with their life? Wouldn't you be able to train him yourself. I don't want to say what... I guess it's just a thought so I'm gonna say it. Wouldn't you be able to kinds just get on and then pet them and talk to them to calm them down? I don't know, but the way my head thinks, that seems logical.

Have you ever thought that? Don't worry I'm not gonna go and buy a filly... unless you agree with me that it would work... haha just kidding... maybe :fl

Thanks for looking!

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHA of course you are not the only one that thinks about this!

My experience was with an untrained mustang. The mustang was *gentled* already when I got him, so he was halter broke and used to humans for the most part, but he sure was HARD to catch. Hours and hours of getting that horse to trust me! Sheesh. But once he did, I could do purt near anything with him. I could blanket him, put fly masks on him, rub him all over (where he used to try and kick me when I touched his belly). It was a really cool experience. I could saddle him, and taught him to give to head pressure (I was working towards bitless). BUT, when it came down to it, I kind of chickened out :( I had never really taught a horse from on them before, so I wasn't sure how he might react. And even if he took it all in stride, I didn't know how to teach him to move forward really. I never actually got on him. I started college and got busy, then got married, and got dairy goats. We decided it would be best to sell the horses since we weren't making time for them :hit

I miss my horses dearly, and some day I WILL have the time again to get another. And I will get another mustang. And I will ride this one! LOL But I do truly beleive that if a horse trusts you it makes it sooooo much easier to teach/work with them. But each horse is an individual, so while one may trust and go with the flow, another might trust you but still just be way too freaked out and revert back to the flight response. Just depends.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
So first off, there is no need to worry. I won't be doing this.
Why not? There are many books to instruct about training a horse and people have, for many thousands of years, trained their own horses. I've thought of it....I imagine anyone who loves horses has thought of it. I'd say, if you have the time and resources to do it, why not give it a try? :)

Jenski

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
LiveForHorses, lots of horse-crazy folks think about that.

If you are serious, my first question would be . . . have you ever trained a horse before? My second question would be . . . how long have you been riding?

Training a horse can be an amazing and rewarding experience under the right conditions. It can also be a nightmare under the wrong conditions. Horses are so large that it changes the game - - you will never be able to use your strength against a horse. I know many people who have been injured by horses, some seriously.

If you ever consider raising a horse yourself, my personal advice is to work under a trainer. I would not try raising a horse from birth without a great deal of experience. The first three years of a working horse's life are absolutely critical to its future performance.

I caught the movie "Buck" on Netflix last week - - you might check it out if you love horses. It is about the horse trainer Buck Brannaman. Good stuff for horsie folks there. . . good advice there, too: how you work with a horse carries through to everything else in your life - - your relationships with your spouse and children, how you treat other people, etc. The horse becomes a mirror of who you are . . . and do you like what you see?

Hope that info helps. Have a great New Year! :)

KinderKorner

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I has this thought years ago. (Back when the horse market was still up.)

I went out looking for a baby. Came home with a 3 year old unbroke mare.

I broke her to ride, and taught her the parelli method.

She was a fantastic mount. Then one day after a couple years of riding she spooked and bucked me off. First time she had ever acted up. I then sent her to a professional for over 60 days to be "finished" She came back, and can do all the fancy stuff. She rides great.

Still have her, although I'd like to sell her because I jsut can't afford her anymore.

But she she is an amazing horse. She can do it all.

She still has her moments where is blanks out and bucks me off. She is turning 9 soon, I can't believe we have came so far.

Saying that I still prefer my old gelding that is stubborn, cranky, and lazy. :plbb

I just don't have the young excitment and passion for horses I used to. I don't need a fancy horse that can sidestep and pivot. She would excel at a place where she was used for something such as showing. But for me, I jsut enjoy going on a lazy and quiet ride with my good old boy.

Yes it can be done. But we've had our ups and downs. I only reccommend that experienced people train horses though. Even after years she still needed finished by a professional trainer.

I wouldn't do it again though. I don't have the time or the passion. If I was to ever buy another horse, I'd fork out the money for a completed, bombproof, old thing. haha. Those young ones will keep you busy.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just be glad you did not ask this question on a horse only forum, they would rip your head off!
I would start the tiny babies with lightweight replicas, that way when they are big enough to actually be started under saddle with real work and weight, they won't startle. That's my thought, at least.
I bought a pony, 'green broke' and I am training him myself. I just avoid details when I ask on horse forums, they just don't care, pretty rude place... I have a no name saddle that I use on my pony, doesn't fit or anything, but I use it for the weight, general feel, movement and act of putting it on and taking it off.
I don't have time to work with him all the time, though I do have the rest of my life and his to teach him. Rather do it myself than ship him to a trainer and get screwed over by him and get a worse off horse. You never know what can/will happen...

erinr

Just born
Reaction score
I've never trained my own colt, but I've been riding for several years. I've trained a lot of other animals and have "trained/finished my horse to do quite a few things that she wouldn't do before. We trust each other and I feel completly safe walking behind her, leting my little siblings ride her, etc. But one thing to remember is that if a horse bucks you off it doesn't mean that they don't like you or anything like that. A lot of times my mare just bucks for the fun of it, knowing that I can stick on ( or if I can't I need some practice) and we both have a great time. Now, if the horse is obviosly just wanting to get you off him it's a different story. I'd say go for it!!:)

KDailey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm training my own filly and gelding right now. My biggest piece of advice? Look up Clinton Anderson and Downunder Horsemanship!!

Second: How much experiance do you have with horses? If you've have a lot of experiance with horses and have been riding a long time and are a good horseman/woman then you should have no problem if you get the right instruction (Clinton Anderson!).

The thing with raising one from a colt and then training it can go one of two ways:

1. You raise it up and pet it and feed it treats and it thinks you're it's best friend
2. You are kind to it, feed it, keep it safe but don't baby it, maintain your personal space and start the basics of training immediately.

The outcomes:

1. The horse becomes extremely spoiled and has no respect for your personal space and will be very pushy and dangerous (I know this from personal experiance with a family friend). They are actually a lot harder to train and more dangerous

2. The horse learns to have a healthy respect for you but also likes your company. Because you start them on the basics of training at a very young age they are very easy to break to saddle and are wonderful saddle horses. (Clinton Anderson!!)

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My friend has been riding for 12 years, and she just recently bought a filly and has trained it to ride "her way". Accidentally, her horse got pregnant and gave birth to a beautiful little colt... so she plans on training yet another one! She says it takes LOTS of time and patience.

RamblingCowgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh yeah ;)
I started my Cherokee my self. Never been around broke horses, just nice big pets. Cherokee is now 7. I got her as a 3mo in trade for halter brakeing a mule colt. Each horse I start turns out nicer faster then the last.
Some things to keep in mind are
Take it one step at a time
Do it on the ground first
Even at 2 & 3 years old they are still just big babys
If you mess up, you can fix it

I used to think if I didn't get it right the first time I would ruin the horse. Nope. You have to go out of your way and do the wrong thing over and over again. Your horse is going to keep learning right along with you.

The movie "Buck" is awesome!!!

You mite want to do some home work first, but go for it.
There is a whole list of horsemen out there who have books and what not, check around on line and find the one you understand best.