Amber or Red

Mocksincerity

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm new to both colors and google hasn't been very helpful this time around. When your kits are young is there a way to tell Amber from Red? I have a beautiful Amber doe I got from a breeder who told me she has thrown reds regularly. She has 4 kits and they all look red right now with slight variations of color depth. How do I tell Red kits from Amber?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Reading through the Rex breed standard, an Amber is pretty much a Chocolate Castor, so Amber babies should be born looking chocolate with the usual agouti trim package. A Red, on the other hand, is a combination of non-extension, wide band, and rufous, so they should be more of a reddish-orange rather than brown.

(Mini Rex don't have wide band in their Reds; the belly color is white or cream. Non-extension may leave a little bit of dark pigment on the tips of the hairs, so having a Red that is chocolate based makes any dark tips hard to see. Amber and Red can be really tricky to tell apart once they grow a bit in that breed . . . If I remember correctly, the bunny in my avatar is an Amber)

Mocksincerity

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you! They're standard. Ignore the black and lynx kits she's fostering a few from another doe all the Red/Amber are hers
DSCF7895 (1).JPG

DSCF7896 (1).JPG

DSCF7903.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF7905.JPG
    DSCF7905.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts