American Guinea Hog Piglet Penis Out of Sheath

Jethro

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have an American Guinea Hog piglet whose penis is out of the sheath much of the time. He's the biggest boar that I have and was going to be a breeder. Someone said to clean his sheath like you would a gelding horse but I'm not seeing any info on that. I'm assuming that since he has a problem he will not make a suitable breeder.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you In advance.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I cannot say that i have had much experience with a hog that keeps his penis extended. But, is there any chance he has some sort of infection? That could cause him to keep it out as it might feel better... If you could take some mild soapy water and wash it gently, and rinse with clear room temp water... maybe see if he changes his actions. If not, then I would not use him for a breeder... Plus, hanging out like that will dry the tissues that keeping it sheathed protects...exposing it to more germs and other infectious things.

Could have been some damage when he was being born that might have affected his ability to withdraw it...

Jethro

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I cannot say that i have had much experience with a hog that keeps his penis extended. But, is there any chance he has some sort of infection? That could cause him to keep it out as it might feel better... If you could take some mild soapy water and wash it gently, and rinse with clear room temp water... maybe see if he changes his actions. If not, then I would not use him for a breeder... Plus, hanging out like that will dry the tissues that keeping it sheathed protects...exposing it to more germs and other infectious things.

Could have been some damage when he was being born that might have affected his ability to withdraw it...
I'll try to clean It but it will be a wrestling match. Thank you to all those who responded.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, most common would be some material in there creating inability for retraction. Being a few months, you'll need help to hold him but, pulling the penis out and gently washing with lukewarm water would be my first suggestion. Could be hay, dirt, etc. Their penis is almost curled, not straight, so easy to have this issue and, no, you haven't done anything wrong. IF there was foreign material, there may be irritation and inflammation in the area. Of course, injury could be a problem. Surely there will be injury to this tender tissue if not addressed. Of course, a vet can sedate and identify.

Pigs can bite!!! Be careful.