American Guinea Hogs!

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We got some hogs! American Guinea Hogs! We got 2 sows, a gilt, a boar, and 2 non-breeder quality gilts. The gilt gave birth to 6 piglets the day before we brought them, and the two sows are expecting soon! The 2 non-breeder quality gilts will be pork in the fall.

The gilt- Annabelle with 6 piglets
600x450px-LL-9262be5b_DSCN2015.jpeg

They declared war on the nice grass right away, and ate them all before the sun went down. This morning, the pen was one muddy, turned up ground.

600x450px-LL-f8a97607_DSCN2008.jpeg

The boar- Jasper He is about 250 pounds, and is 2 years old.
600x450px-LL-734b71e1_DSCN2005.jpeg

600x450px-LL-4390eced_DSCN2011.jpeg

They are fun to watch already! :lol: One of the sows had flipped the smallest gilt out of her way to get the feed. :gig

jessica_1285

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've never heard of this breed.... then again I know pretty much nothing about hogs lol. These are nice looking! Love the pic with the babies:)

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i cant believe in one day they turned the pen into a mud hole!! how big is your pen?? i guess i have no idea what im in for once i turn my pigs loose in thier pen.. :rolleyes:

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Farmerboy said:
We got some hogs! American Guinea Hogs! We got 2 sows, a gilt, a boar, and 2 non-breeder quality gilts. The gilt gave birth to 6 piglets the day before we brought them, and the two sows are expecting soon! The 2 non-breeder quality gilts will be pork in the fall.

The gilt- Annabelle with 6 piglets
http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/9/92/600x450px-LL-9262be5b_DSCN2015.jpeg

They declared war on the nice grass right away, and ate them all before the sun went down. This morning, the pen was one muddy, turned up ground.

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/f/f8/600x450px-LL-f8a97607_DSCN2008.jpeg

The boar- Jasper He is about 250 pounds, and is 2 years old.
http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/7/73/600x450px-LL-734b71e1_DSCN2005.jpeg

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/4/43/600x450px-LL-4390eced_DSCN2011.jpeg

They are fun to watch already! :lol: One of the sows had flipped the smallest gilt out of her way to get the feed. :gig
Gotta say, I love the looks of the black pigs. That is what I would preffer. I believe that ours are going to be some sort of cross. I am assuming pink. But time will tell. Nice looking group! Ya'll are turning into a farm family very quickly aren't you? :D

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Congratulation on your new piggies!

i guess i have no idea what im in for once i turn my pigs loose in thier pen..
Breed makes ALL the difference. Some breeds are much worse at digging up the pastures than others. Our Large Blacks hardly root at all.

Liz

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
American Guinea Hogs are very rare Landrace breed. 10 years ago, there was only 8 of these left, now there are fewer than 200 breeders. Their pork is said to be the best tasting of all breeds. They do not root as much as other breeds, they prefer to graze, but I guess that they were excited about their new home, that they wanted to try out our soil. :lol: Our pen is very small to start with anyway, only 6 cattle panels that makes up the pen. My dad wants me to get 10 more panels tomorrow, so we will increase the pen size to give them more room.

After they have been here for a week, I will put up a strand of electric wire inside the panels to train them to respect the wire, then I will let them out into the cow pasture. We have a creek at the bottom of the ravine, in the woods that will be perfect for the hogs.

We also had gotten a heifer to be a family cow last week, so we are becoming a farm family very quickly! We were just going to get a few pigs just for pork raising, but I had found a very good deal on the American Guinea Hogs, that I couldn't pass up, and it was easy to convince my dad to get them. :D

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cornish Heritage said:
Congratulation on your new piggies!

i guess i have no idea what im in for once i turn my pigs loose in thier pen..
Breed makes ALL the difference. Some breeds are much worse at digging up the pastures than others. Our Large Blacks hardly root at all.

Liz
well i hope a tamworth/berkshire cross wont root too much :lol:

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
After they have been here for a week, I will put up a strand of electric wire inside the panels to train them to respect the wire, then I will let them out into the cow pasture. We have a creek at the bottom of the ravine, in the woods that will be perfect for the hogs.
They will be happy to be out on pasture & in the woods but you are being wise in training them to electric fence before letting them out! We train all our pigs to electric fence from 8 weeks old (weaning) & they are SO much easier to manage.

AGH are prolific breeders or so I have heard & they are supposed to be hardy so I am sure you will plenty more piglets before long.

Liz

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Farmerboy said:
American Guinea Hogs are very rare Landrace breed. 10 years ago, there was only 8 of these left, now there are fewer than 200 breeders. Their pork is said to be the best tasting of all breeds. They do not root as much as other breeds, they prefer to graze, but I guess that they were excited about their new home, that they wanted to try out our soil. :lol: Our pen is very small to start with anyway, only 6 cattle panels that makes up the pen. My dad wants me to get 10 more panels tomorrow, so we will increase the pen size to give them more room.

We also had gotten a heifer to be a family cow last week, so we are becoming a farm family very quickly! We were just going to get a few pigs just for pork raising, but I had found a very good deal on the American Guinea Hogs, that I couldn't pass up, and it was easy to convince my dad to get them. :D
You don't even need cattle panels with these guys. Just run 2 strands of electric - 6" and 18". They don't jump, so no danger of them going over.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
quiltnchik said:
You don't even need cattle panels with these guys. Just run 2 strands of electric - 6" and 18". They don't jump, so no danger of them going over.
Well, the reason I had to get 10 more panels was, because the ALL the hogs got out while I was at work, and my siblings and my dad was chasing them all over the place. My dad said that it was a nightmare trying to get the boar back in the pen, for he wanted to stay out, and eat more stuff. So, my dad said that he does not want the hogs out of the pen, and did not want another chance of them escaping, so, we made the pen bigger. We think that they got out for they were really hungry, and we were not giving them enough feed, so they pushed the flimsy gate open in search for food. So, my dad tossed out the gate, and fixed the fence a bit more. I gave them about 3 dozen eggs from my chickens when I got home, and lots of hay.

They love how big their new pen is, and we all like it too. :) I will take a picture of it tomorrow.

Latest posts