American Guinea Hogs!

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Waterfall said:
They sure look happy but boy did they do a number on that pasture.
They are happy here. They did root a bit in their pasture, but not all of it. It is interesting that, they seems to have set aside some areas for grazing and for rooting. So they do not root their entire yard.
They have been here for 3 weeks now, and this is what it looks like now. You can see that there are grass growing in some areas. I saw them ''mowing'' yesterday.
5723_10050183398531_orig.jpeg

Waterfall

Reaction score
Yeah, our two Chester Whites seem to be rooting in some areas and grazing in others. Pigs are rather smart, well at least some.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Your pictures have made me want AGH more than I did before :lol: Your piglets are sooo cute!! I'm jealous!

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It has been so hot lately, but the hogs seems to be doing well.

Cooling off.

Eating fresh unsellable greens. Got the greens from where I work, for free! Daily! :woot

Anybody want this cutie? :D I have 13 piglets total from 3 sows. 7 males, 6 females. They are old enough to be rehome now. ;)

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Great pics :) It is SO hot here too. We hit 109F earlier according to the temperature gauge.

Stay cool everyone,

Liz

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It hit 104 yesterday. :th I got a bad headache yesterday while watering the animals, can't stand the heat. Thank God for AC!

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I read that your father did not want you to turn the pigs loose in the larger pasture because he is afraid they will get loose again. Maybe you could try turning a few loose at a time. They are herd animals and the "loose" ones probably will not wander far from the original pen. That way they can explore the new larger place and return to the original pen to rejoin their friends.

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Farmerboy said:
American Guinea Hogs are very rare Landrace breed. 10 years ago, there was only 8 of these left, now there are fewer than 200 breeders. Their pork is said to be the best tasting of all breeds. They do not root as much as other breeds, they prefer to graze, but I guess that they were excited about their new home, that they wanted to try out our soil. :lol: Our pen is very small to start with anyway, only 6 cattle panels that makes up the pen. My dad wants me to get 10 more panels tomorrow, so we will increase the pen size to give them more room.

After they have been here for a week, I will put up a strand of electric wire inside the panels to train them to respect the wire, then I will let them out into the cow pasture. We have a creek at the bottom of the ravine, in the woods that will be perfect for the hogs.

We also had gotten a heifer to be a family cow last week, so we are becoming a farm family very quickly! We were just going to get a few pigs just for pork raising, but I had found a very good deal on the American Guinea Hogs, that I couldn't pass up, and it was easy to convince my dad to get them. :D
They were never down that low in counts; the lowest they reached was 35 in the US. They are, however, still considered critically endangered by the ALBC. Are your hogs registered? Your boar looks like he might have some Samson blood in him.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
quiltnchik said:
They were never down that low in counts; the lowest they reached was 35 in the US. They are, however, still considered critically endangered by the ALBC. Are your hogs registered? Your boar looks like he might have some Samson blood in him.
That is what I read in the ALBC.
All of my breeder hogs are registered.

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Farmerboy said:
quiltnchik said:
That is what I read in the ALBC.
All of my breeder hogs are registered.
Mine are registered as well, and my boar is a grandson of Baylis VA Samson. In looking at the ALBC website, I'm not finding the info you mention - just wondering where it's located <?> I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it's imperative that correct information is given regarding these marvelous little hogs in order to promote them and keep their numbers growing.

http://albc-usa.org/cpl/guinea.html