American Guinea Hogs!

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
quiltnchik said:
Just make sure all of your testing and paperwork is in order. Wouldn't want them seized along the way :)
Oh, I remember now why I did not ship any last year. Found that all the testing and paperwork to do, and how much it cost. Unless there is an easier and better way to ship them....

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DKRabbitry said:
I just got into AGHs last year. We had our first litter in June and plan on breeding our sow back this month. Did you get your hogs from Olive Hill?
What has the timeframe been on getting your paperwork back from the AGHA?
Yup, got them from her as she was getting out of them. She sold me all of her AGH breeding stock.

You mean registration papers? Olive Hill gave the notice to AGHA the transfer of Ownership of the hogs to me in April 15 and I did not get any papers or anything until June or July!

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
COOL! I got my boar from her last year. Jasper is his sire. Can't remember offhand who his dam is though...

3 months? I am jealous. It took 6 months to get Harry's registration, 4 months to get my sow's, and I sent in my membership application and a litter registration last August. They cashed the checks in October, but I still have no registration papers for my hogs :mad: I sent the registrar an email last week inquiring, but have yet to hear back.

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
y'all are very fortunate to have gotten your agh. i've searched my area (Texas) pretty throughly - no luck. they are such a special breed. one thing i like (that i read) is since they're black, they have more sun tolerance than light skinned pigs.

fair weather chicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
DK and Farmerboy, i woud be very interested in talking to you both about purchasing some stock. i am near south haven. are either of you anywhere near there. thank you

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have been considering adding some pigs to our farm and my wife is interested in the AGHs. Those who are breeding, are you allowing the boars and sows to live together? Are there issues with the boars attacking babies?

LauraInPA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am very interested in how you manage the boars too....REALLY considering adding these to our farm next year and trying to plan/get everything well in advance :)