American Guinea Hogs!

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Its been awhile since I had posted here.

Annabelle had piglets again last night! 7 of them! :ep She had 6 before, and the other 2 sows had 6 too, so this litter is the largest we got so far! So the count of piglets this year is-25, but 4 died very young, 1 got stolen, so 20 now, and 3 more sows expecting soon. :th Anyone want some bacon??? lol

I watched 4 pop out, and taking their first breath, it was cool. 3 were already out when I went to check on her when I got home from work last night at 10:20. Each piglets came out about 20 minutes apart. I stayed in that tiny shed until 12:20 am.

4 males, 3 females

They are born about the size of a pop can, so small.

Proud Mama eating yummy bread. She is about 150 lbs.

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Congratulations! They're adorable!

We lost our first litter of 4 because our gilt's pelvic structure (even though she was over a year old) was too small to let them through. By the time the vet was able to get here and pull them, they were all dead. Our second litter (of 8) were all squished the first night because they burrowed too deeply in the hay and got laid on. We have another litter due in February (from the sow that lost her first litter), and are really praying for a better year next year.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had lost a gilt (Porkychop) last summer to the same thing your sow had. She was for meat, and came with our breeders for free. I am sure that she got bred before coming to our farm, for we got them in April 15th, and she went to labor in July 15th. She was only 6 months old when she came to our farm, she was under sized. I had tried pulling the piglets out, but my hand would not fit in her pelvic structure, it was too small. But I tried putting my hand in Annabelle's birth canal last night, I was able to reach pass the pelvic. Plus Porkychop's babies were humongous! 2 smallest ones were out and dead, one with its head partly out and skull caved in, 2 more to go. I had slit her belly after she died to see how many piglets were in there. It was not fun, esp LOTS OF FLIES!

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
Hey FarmerBoy,

Are your AGH registered? Will you be selling any breeding quality babies?

Thanks!
Hay!
Yes, the parent stock are registered and can registered the piglets, and I will be selling them as breeders and feeders, depending on their quality.

Here is the family picture of them.

LL

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Farmerboy said:
Hey FarmerBoy,

Thanks!
Hay!
Yes, the parent stock are registered and can registered the piglets, and I will be selling them as breeders and feeders, depending on their quality.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5452606/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Aww they are so cute!!! Have you guys looked into shipping them for customers?

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Farmerboy said:
Hey FarmerBoy,

Thanks!
Hay!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5452606/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

I can try, have not shipped piglets before, just a rooster to SC. It took the PO 24 hours to ship him from my hometown to SC! But The piglets can't leave their mothers until 6 weeks old. Then they can go wee wee all the way to your Ranch. ;) We can talk some more in pms if you want...

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Farmerboy said:
Farmerboy said:
Hay!

I can try, have not shipped piglets before, just a rooster to SC. It took the PO 24 hours to ship him from my hometown to SC! But The piglets can't leave their mothers until 6 weeks old. Then they can go wee wee all the way to your Ranch. ;) We can talk some more in pms if you want...
Just make sure all of your testing and paperwork is in order. Wouldn't want them seized along the way :)

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just got into AGHs last year. We had our first litter in June and plan on breeding our sow back this month. Did you get your hogs from Olive Hill?
What has the timeframe been on getting your paperwork back from the AGHA?