amount of llama feed per llama

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting llamas and horses but they would need to go in the same pasture and barn. Since they can't eat eachother's food and I have to feed them seperatly, how much llama food should I give each llama and how many times a day? (considering that I probably would get two female llamas)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I couldn't say as to whether a female is fed differently to a male if they are not pregnant...

My llama is an intact male. He gets 1 large scoop of grain 1x a day. He gets all the hay that he wants (same as my goats) and he eats quite a bit of hay right now. He also has access to whatever browse he wants though it's not much during winter around here..

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
oh okay! thanks for all the help! It is my dream to raise a ranch with many animals but I am new at this so before i get any animals I want to make sure I know how to do everything right!

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Get a feed that is specific for llamas ...sweet feed is not good for them. Feed them a good quality hay and if you are getting 2 llamas you will need about 1/2 acre minimum for them to roam. Good luck!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I agree, although it can be hard at times to find llama specific feed...you may have to have it ordered for you.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Whatever the bag of feed says to feed is usually what you feed them. It also depends on if the females are pregnant or nursing crias or just pets. Llamas can get heavy fast and you really don't want to feed them a lot of feed.

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
mully said:
Get a feed that is specific for llamas ...sweet feed is not good for them. Feed them a good quality hay and if you are getting 2 llamas you will need about 1/2 acre minimum for them to roam. Good luck!!
okay and they will have six acres to roam!