An experiment in cold weather water supply

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have designed this inexpensive system that will, in theory keep the water from freezing in lower temperatures. I will conduct an experiment to determine how effective this system is.

I started with one large bucket. This came in a package of 2 from TS for about $20. They are 74 quarts.
1751_large_bucket.jpg

I got a smaller bucket that was about 5 inches shorter than the large one and smaller in diameter. I got a five gallon bucket at TS for about $3.
1751_small_bucket.jpg

I put about 10 inches of hay on the bottom of the large bucket. This will pack down so I put it in deep. The hay I used for packing the bucket is from off the floor of the shelter. I wanted something that will be decomposing already.
1751_bottom_straw.jpg

I put the small bucket in the large one and packed hay around the small bucket.
1751_bucket_with_straw.jpg

These are in the field shelter. I have a thermometer in there so I can determine at what temperatures this starts to freeze under what conditions.
1751_finished_buckets.jpg

I will keep y'all updated on the results of my experiment.

Two cold water buckets for under $30.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
After hauling hot water this morning...I am very interested in the finding of your experiment.

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If it freezes up too soon, try putting fresh manure in the bottom then the hay same way cold frames work. The top will still freeze so a small disk of 2" stryrofoam insulation floating on top may help with that. Animals will just push it to the side. Lumber stores sometimes have small broken bits they will give you if you don't want too much. Won't work if your critters think it is a cookie that needs eating.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
After hauling hot water this morning...I am very interested in the finding of your experiment.
Hot water is actually not that great in halting freezing. It rapidly looses its heat, and when it does freeze, it freezes solid. That is because hot water has less dissolved gases, which build up on nucleation sites on a container (like bubbles in a soda, but a soda is supersaturated with dissolved gas). The disturbance on the nucleation sites is where ice crystal formation begins. Usually this results in a thin crust on the sides and top of the water, which then insulates the unfrozen water underneath. But when hot water does freeze, the entire solution freezes because it essentially becomes supercooled as a whole instead of part of it remaining liquid.

I find if I bring out my chickens cold or room temperature water, it remains drinkable longer than hot water. They've learned to peck a hole in the thin ice and get a drink. They actually can keep open a drinking hole that kinda reminds me of an ice fishermen hole. Works well even on the colder days. I bet a goat can open the water easily.

BarredBuff

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im interested too! Thats a really neat idea!

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
interested too!

an air bubbler for fish tanks keeps water from freezing, if you have electric out there cheaper than heating it. ( I think)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Stacykins said:
elevan said:
Hot water is actually not that great in halting freezing. It rapidly looses its heat, and when it does freeze, it freezes solid. That is because hot water has less dissolved gases, which build up on nucleation sites on a container (like bubbles in a soda, but a soda is supersaturated with dissolved gas). The disturbance on the nucleation sites is where ice crystal formation begins. Usually this results in a thin crust on the sides and top of the water, which then insulates the unfrozen water underneath. But when hot water does freeze, the entire solution freezes because it essentially becomes supercooled as a whole instead of part of it remaining liquid.

I find if I bring out my chickens cold or room temperature water, it remains drinkable longer than hot water. They've learned to peck a hole in the thin ice and get a drink. They actually can keep open a drinking hole that kinda reminds me of an ice fishermen hole. Works well even on the colder days. I bet a goat can open the water easily.
I pour the hot water over the frozen water to melt the ice enough for me to remove the frozen surface and they are good for the rest of the day ;)

Chickie2378

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
frozen stinks

I used to have a sledge near my troughs. then I went automated waterers for all. expensive but worth every penny

let me know how this works. very interesting for sure

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The nearest electric outlet to this shelter is over 1000' away. Anything powered is out of the question. The automatic ones are too expensive. I am trying to find something inexpensive. If I have to buy automatic waterers I will just move them to the barn and buy more hay.

This morning at 6:00:

18 degrees outside
21 degrees in the shelter

The bucket that had ice chunks in it when I filled it was frozen.
The one that started with cold water had a paper thin layer of ice, the goats could have broken through it without even knowing it was there.

I broke the ice bucket and poured warm water (about 80 degrees) over it.

So far it looks like it will help keep water from feezing but won't melt what is there. More data is required to draw any meaningful conclusions.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Cool idea. I saw a similar concept except using tires (filled w/ straw) around a 5 gallon bucket.