An Introduction to Buffaloes

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
You probably also don't have a lot of multi millionaires that want to own everything either though. The money that is there is spread out a little more evenly (more even than one person have 500 million and someone else sleeping on a bench because they have nowhere to live and everything they own fits in a trash bag)

There are multimillionairs and there are people sleeping on the bench. There is a lot of poverty in India. Many people are living in extreme misery. There are many reasons for that too. Caste system is a major driving force behind the poverty and it's very pervasive. It persists even after conversion. Corruption is another major, if you are weak, that is to say 'if you don't have links to powerful people', bureaucrats will steal your benefits.

There are also many legal reasons. According to Hindu personal law you cannot disinherit your child from your ancestral property, but according to Muslim and Christian personal law you can. According to Christian and Muslim personal law, you cannot legally adopt a child. If you are a Hindu, Sikh or Buddhist, you can, but only if you don't have a child or a grandchild. If you are a single person you cannot adopt a girl if you are a man and you cannot adopt a boy if you are a woman. The difference between your age and the person to be adopted must be 21 years and you can adopt no more than one. So there are many orphans and disinherited children running around. They add to the poor populations.

Divorce laws are also different because of different personal laws, a Muslim man can divorce his wife within months, for a Hindu person it takes one year and for a Christian person it takes three years.

Intercaste or intercommumal love marriages may result in expulsion from the family and villages. Many people permanently leave their ancestral villages because of the honour killings. People often kill runaway daughters and/or their lovers to restore the honour of their family. So many people don't dare to return to their property and they end up being poor.

Many people just loose everything and become poor because of addictions, gambling or just bad investment.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes. She's quite game isn't she! That farm is about 300 miles (480 km) from me. Can you imagine going from 2 buffaloes to 600?? I wonder if that was the original plan or "buffalo math" got them.

Seriously buffaloes are like addictions. There are so many YouTube channels here that feature buffaloes. Cows are worshipped and considered sacred in India, but buffaloes sell for twice or more even when they give same or less amount of milk.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes. She's quite game isn't she! That farm is about 300 miles (480 km) from me. Can you imagine going from 2 buffaloes to 600?? I wonder if that was the original plan or "buffalo math" got them.

I honestly never imagined a redhead riding a buffalo. There's nothing wrong about that, that's just something you don't expect.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I forgot that the internet is not as cheap in USA as it is in India. We get 4G network, two GB data each day + unlimited call and SMS for three months, for less than 600 ₹ that would be 8 $. I don't know the price of internet in the States though, but I would guess that it is much more expensive. I also have access to two WiFi networks, one at workplace and one at my flat, so most of data remains unused.

My apologies, pardon me for my foolish mistake.
NO NO NO! That is NOT a foolish mistake. We live an equal distance between 3 towns-9 miles. It's not like we are on the butt-end of nowhere, but the only internet service is satellite, same with TV. Internet is $80 per month and so is TV. Both go off in bad weather. So when the news on TV interrupts the program to warn everyone of approaching tornadoes, just before it gets to our area, the satellite goes off and no TV. Do we run? Get in the car and leave? Hide in a small windowless room? That would be a closet and we would probably get beat to death by all the stuff in the closet. :lol:

Some people even put up their own towers for internet service. We had several companies come out and test, but the trees here are too tall and block the signal.

When we moved, we sat out here with nothing but cell service, that is bad too. So spotty satellite service with lousy reception sure looked good to me! Our cell reception is so bad that we sometimes have to go stand out in the road to have a conversation.

I can't believe the price of your internet! And not to mention that it actually WORKS! WOW! :weee:weee:weee

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our cell reception is so bad that we sometimes have to go stand out in the road to have a conversation.
You got us beat there! To make a cell phone call we have to drive about 2 miles. Texts work kinda OK ... sometimes. Other times "not sent try again later". Our internet is DSL through the phone line. Internet (15 mbps on a REALLY REALLY good day) and the land line are nearly $130/month. No TV service. We are 5 miles from the center of a city of 7,000 surrounded by a town of the same size.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't even have a land line, it's AT&T and it is lousy service. In fact, our cell phones are AT&T, AT&T bought out Direct TV too. I see pattern here.......

The satellite internet is Hughes Net. Not great, but it beats a cell phone with intermittent signal, we usually have one bar on the cell phones. We get the :barnie not sent texts too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so each religion has its own laws? Religions here can have all the beliefs they want, but laws belong to the State or Federal law. there are not different laws for Muslims, Christians, Jews, atheists, men, women or anybody. Law is the same for everybody. That said, poor people go to jail because they cannot afford a lawyer, middle class people-it's a toss up, wealthy people usually stay out of jail because they can afford the best lawyers. Equal does not always mean equal.

Honestly, I think every country's laws are disfunctional. Some are better than others, some are worse and some are so bad, that-DON'T GO THERE!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm about to get outside for the day, will watch it later, My internet is lousy, I get a few minutes then the "circle of doom" while it loads, a few minutes, circle of doom, more circle of doom that minutes to watch.

@Kusanar Texas has LOTS of exotics. On west Texas ranches, many exotics have naturalized and are considered part of the wildlife now. The King Ranch imported Nilgai antelope a hundred years ago, thinking they would be herded like cattle and be a great meat source. Uhhhhhh NOPE. They are a great meat source, but are extremely wild and RUN, thus cannot be herded or used like cattle in any way. Nilgai are now naturalized in many areas of south Texas and hunted like any other wildlife.

I'm like you-Reindeer in Texas? Then on the flip side, why not? We have Elk too and they are cool/cold weather animals, though not as extreme as Reindeer. I don't know of any Moose in Texas, but that doesn't mean anything.

I forgot to mention the Nilgai. They are considered agricultural pests in India, but you cannot shoot them. We have to petition the authorities and they conduct a count and only if they conclude that the problem is serious they send hunters to shoot a certain amount of Nilgai.

They are not domesticable animals. We have domesticated Chickens, Zebu cattle, Buffaloes even Gaur. If they were suitable for domestication I am sure they would have been already domesticated.

Latest posts