An Introduction to Buffaloes

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love this thread!!!! I hope you continue to post on it and tell us about your buffaloes, as it's something I know zilch about. I love an easy keeper animal that is dual purpose and these various breeds are such a rich part of the history of this world that we Americans never learn much about.

Please tell us more and I LOVE the pics!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can, but tests are very unreliable and even if I get a correct positive result, I will be told to go to my room and rest.

That's about all you can do anyway....rest, hydrate, and rest some more. I think my household had it back in January and it took about a month to get fully over it, but much like any cold virus, it's survivable and there's an end in sight. If you can get your hands on some steroids it can quickly relieve the swelling of the respiratory passages and get you some great relief.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
That's about all you can do anyway....rest, hydrate, and rest some more. I think my household had it back in January and it took about a month to get fully over it, but much like any cold virus, it's survivable and there's an end in sight. If you can get your hands on some steroids it can quickly relieve the swelling of the respiratory passages and get you some great relief.

You caught it quite early. The Persistent coughing is very annoying. I have some ginger brandy, it helps with the cough. Just a snifter before bed.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love this thread!!!! I hope you continue to post on it and tell us about your buffaloes, as it's something I know zilch about. I love an easy keeper animal that is dual purpose and these various breeds are such a rich part of the history of this world that we Americans never learn much about.

Please tell us more and I LOVE the pics!

I am glad that you liked. There are actually quite a few people who keep buffaloes in the Americas. In Anglo America there are or were quite a few buffalo farms and companies and individuals who keep buffaloes. I know for sure that they were in British Columbia, Ontario, New Jersey, North Carolina, California and Florida. I think they are also kept in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Vermont and Texas, but I cannot be 100% certain.

Look up Ontario Water Buffalo company and backyard buffaloes on Facebook.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am glad that you liked. Their are actually quite a few people who keep buffaloes in the Americas. In Anglo America there are or were quite a few buffalo farms and companies and individuals who keep buffaloes. I know for sure that they were in British Columbia, Ontario, New Jersey, North Carolina, California and Florida. I think they are also kept in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Vermont and Texas, but I cannot be 100% certain.

Look up Ontario Water Buffalo company and backyard buffaloes on Facebook.
Oh, I know there are people who keep them in the US, but not enough that they've become anywhere near mainstream livestock. The cost of obtaining them is prohibitive to most who would keep them full time as part of their agricultural practices and they are not well known enough to be marketable to the public as meat, so even if you could afford to get them, you'd have to sell them so high that no one could afford to eat them and the number of people who would buy them would be a small market. Mostly wealthy people keeping them as a novelty.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, I know there are people who keep them in the US, but not enough that they've become anywhere near mainstream livestock. The cost of obtaining them is prohibitive to most who would keep them full time as part of their agricultural practices and they are not well known enough to be marketable to the public as meat, so even if you could afford to get them, you'd have to sell them so high that no one could afford to eat them and the number of people who would buy them would be a small market. Mostly wealthy people keeping them as a novelty.

In India buffalo's contribution in milk and meat production is more than any other livestock. Here too they cost more than cows. They will sell atleast double in price of cows. You will hardly find buffaloes roaming in the streets on documentaries about India.

Latest posts